This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just curious?

Default Just curious?

I've been reading Mr. King's novels and short stories since Carrie was first published. Mr. King's writing has provided me with hundreds of hours of quality entertainment. For most of that time, I had no idea what Mr. King's political leanings were, nor was I even curious. That information was irrelevant. Mr. King wrote and published. I bought and enjoyed. What else do you need to know? Lately, for the last 10 years or so, I have noticed something different included in Mr. King's works; a heavy-handed, almost clumsy inclusion of a political point of view. I think it all started with Lisey's Story in 2006 and for me culminated with Under the Dome in 2009. Under the Dome was the first of Mr. King's novels I could not finish, try as I might. I'd be reading it, slowly getting lost in the story and the character's lives, when 'Wham!'; Mr. King would insert another blatant political opinion and my suspension of disbelief would come crashing down. I know Mr. King receives more than his share of negative correspondence for various reasons and must have developed the thick skin necessary for a person that writes for a living. What I do not understand, is Mr.King's apparent willingness to alienate half of his potential audience in The United States. Has Mr. King become so rich that he doesn't care? And what does all of this indicate about Mr. King's respect for his fans and their opinions?

I have doubts that this post will even reach the stage of being published as a thread on this web site, let alone receive an answer from Mr. King.
    But, Mr. King, if you are listening, please let this fan and others know why you have performed the literary equivalent of jumping on Oprah's couch.

Default Re: Just curious?

You made it! I do not necessarily have the same political views of Mr. King but I can say that I still enjoy his work very much. I disagree that his work is unreadable because of his insertion of political views. I'm not even sure he is inserting political views. If he is, it doesn't matter because is work is still very enjoyable to read.

Open minded MB, so you post is available for all to read. I have been reading SK books since they were first published. They are read for the story, characters and pure enjoyment. As the author of said works, SK is entitled to voice his opinion. I can have mine, and he can have his. As the saying goes-- we can all agree to disagree. Personally, I do find any of his works unreadable.

Politics? What's that?
    I try not to talk about politics or religion if I can help it - but this one is cute:

(Oh yeah by the way there is a section called "Politics" in here if you are interested in debating such matters) and one on guns, too which got quite lively for a while there when Mr. King's views on "Guns" came out on Kindle

It's really too bad that you'd let an opinion sway you from reading books you really like. I certainly don't speak for SK but it's my opnion that he has plenty of fans at this point and he's worked hard enough to be able to include whatever he wants in his books.

Of course, I'm a pretty staunch Democrat who reads things like Atlas Shrugged and Sheriff Joe Arpaio's book so I guess you can say I like all sides. But I tend to be pretty open-minded and I'm quite happy that way.

I am Canadian but sorta conservative in my beliefs. I do not agree with Uncle Steve about politics and,what's more important, I do not agree with his character's opinion of the Republicians either. We have to remember that he was writing a certain mood, a certain plot that went well with his comments. Uncle Steve is a kind, intelligent person. I do not think for a minute that he thinks all folks who vote Republican are nutcases or stupid. He is not that judgemental. Take his novel with a grain of salt. He had a bit of fun. Next time, some other group may be focused on....that is the way with writing.

Hope you enjoy the board.

That information was irrelevant.
    ...as is your assertion that his "politics" ruin his work....I've been here since the beginning, read every novel-and could give a flyin' frick at a rollin' donut if there's politics in it or not...it ain't like he's writing thousand page podium thumpers for God's sake!....

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by ReelScience View Post
    What I do not understand, is Mr.King's apparent willingness to alienate half of his potential audience in The United States. Has Mr. King become so rich that he doesn't care? And what does all of this indicate about Mr. King's respect for his fans and their opinions?
    He could balance a ball on nose and bark like a Seal and manage to piss off half of the population, and pert near all of the Seals, least the less talented ball balancin' barkin' ones tryin' to get their first big break into showbidness, so?
    So like what, you been out auditioning?...well then, this is just for you...
    Bravo
    ...feel better now, I know I do!

I feel he has done a good job of portraying characters from all walks of life. If he has portrayed someone a certain way in his writing, it is because there are actually folks out there like that.

Please don't reject Mr. King's wonderful characters and fascinating tales because of a sentence or two that you can't agree with. I will agree that they can stop you short because you were not expecting them, but don't disregard all of his thoughts.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast