Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
July 4th tragedies

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: July 4th tragedies

Default July 4th tragedies

Quite a toll this year. They had to cancel the parade in Gettysburg because of a police chase. Looks like Bangor had their problems as well -a shootout and traffic death:

"A spate of fireworks debacles and tragic parade accidents wrecked Independence Day celebrations across the country.

The mishaps Thursday left 20 people hospitalized in Southern California, two people dead in parades nationwide, two people seriously injured in Chicago and $1.5 million in damage in Seattle.

In Oklahoma, an 8-year-old boy on a parade float was killed when his father accidentally ran over him, Edmond police said.

The boy was on a martial arts float that was driven by his father, police spokeswoman Jennifer Monroe said. It's unclear whether the boy jumped or fell from the float before he was run over by the trailer's tires.

Another tragic parade accident took place in Bangor, Maine, when a man driving a tractor in the Independence Day parade died after a vintage fire truck struck him from behind, authorities said.

Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said the parade had been rerouted because of a four-hour standoff with a gunman who fired several rounds at police from an apartment window.

The parade participants "would not have been on that street normally," Edwards said.

A display in Simi Valley, California, turned disastrous when fireworks exploded low to the ground and injured 28 people.

At least 20 were hospitalized, including four who were moderately or seriously injured, said Capt. Mike Lindbery of the Ventura County Fire Department.

Witness Annisa Wynn told CNN affiliate KTLA that fireworks suddenly began shooting sideways into the crowd instead of up into the air."

Default Re: July 4th tragedies

Wow. But I'm really surprised that more children aren't hurt. At the parade i went to the kids were running everywhere trying to get to the candy being thrown. Darting in and out of floats. It was scary to watch. We did that too when we were kids and I don't think they need to ban throwing candy, just maybe need more people to moniter the kids. Parents or volunteers to walk the parade route with the floats?

The 4th so many things happen. My neices son was hit by a car. The roads are so busy. Parents really need to watch their young ones closer. Its scary.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Not too awful bad for over three hundred million freedom lovin' misfits with nothin' much better to do but play with fire (ug, fire good), you know, pretty much all at the same time...but I'm sure some shiny brand spankin' new legislations shall 4th be written.
    Hey one of my nephews, the one what most reminds me of me, he told me the county constabulary's duly designated sworn in, badged up, side armed and everything, legally deputized law dawg fireworks firin' 'representative', said when he stopped by for a semi social/quasi bidness visit, that said nephew's little out of the way neighborhood had more calls 'bout ill gotten s'plosions than any other place in the county, maybe more specifically, maybe said nephews place, but nary a tragedy, nor even a boo-boo, to be reported...which is truly amazing in, if only, that by the evidently sheer quantity of pyrotechnics alone, well, um, didn't I mention he reminds meself an awful bunch o' myself, I mean he should be missin' maybe at least a wee part of a thumb, earlobe, sense of smell, sense of senses, sense of sense, somethin'...eh, always next year..hmm, week...hmm-hmmm, ya know, he's supposed to be comin' over tomorrow.................

Quote Originally Posted by gniknehpets View Post
    Wow. But I'm really surprised that more children aren't hurt. At the parade i went to the kids were running everywhere trying to get to the candy being thrown. Darting in and out of floats. It was scary to watch. We did that too when we were kids and I don't think they need to ban throwing candy, just maybe need more people to moniter the kids. Parents or volunteers to walk the parade route with the floats?
    Throwing candy from parade floats has been banned here, for years.
    Now, each participating float has 2 -4 people who walk the parade route on each side of the floats and they hand candy and baubles to the spectators.....seems to work pretty well.

....I can't criticize stupid people and fireworks...I thinks it's dumber than hell now, but as a callow youth-I was famous for "Hey gimmee that M-80 and let me cram in some of this and attach it to that and set it on fire" kinda antics...and here in our little burg, no candy is tossed from the parade route anymore...the kids are invited over to the Courthouse square after the doins' and candy is passed out then...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    Throwing candy from parade floats has been banned here, for years.
    Now, each participating float has 2 -4 people who walk the parade route on each side of the floats and they hand candy and baubles to the spectators.....seems to work pretty well.
    Same here, it has made things a lot safer... it's not law, it's just something that has sort of been 'unofficially adopted'.
    (We only have a parade at Christmas time.)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Good ideas! I think I'll sit in on next years parade meeting and suggest those alternatives to throwing candy. And I'll volunteer to be one of those handing it out!

In my area, a couple were crossing the street after the fireworks, and someone hit them with their car. The man was killed, and the woman is in critical condition.
    I always stay home, the traffic jams are horrible here.