Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

    When Jack sees older and sick Al, he says that he had seen Al only 22 hours before and Al was fine. So if only 22 hours had passed, how did Al have time to see a Doctor in the present and have a nurse come to his house every day? I don't get it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused

    A great Healthcare insurance . . .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused

    ...it has to do with the

    "rabbit hole" effect
    ...just keep reading...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused

    Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...it has to do with the

    "rabbit hole" effect
    ...just keep reading...

    Ok, I hope you're right about that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused

    ...22 hours "here" is much different than time "there"...I think you'll see, for one of the rare times in my life-that I'm right...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused

    Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...22 hours "here" is much different than time "there"...I think you'll see, for one of the rare times in my life-that I'm right...
    I still don't get it. Al still wouldn't have had enough time. How does a nurse come to his house in 2011 "every day" if he was healthy only 22 hours before. It still feel like a mistake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***


    ....let me try once more, you are hung up on the "22 hours" issue...time "over there" may be only 22 hours.....but days and days have passed on this "level", while less than a day passed while Jake was "gone" down the rabbit hole...time travel is difficult to get your brain wrapped around, and I'm far from expert...hope that helps some...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    4,137

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

    I think that this issue has been discussed, and verified by Ms. Mod. I can't find the thread. say sorry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

    GNTLGNT, I am kind of with hn333, whilst I have read it all, and understand that

    Al gets his diagnosis at the end of 4 years in the past which equates to 2 minutes in the present
    , but the strange thing to him, and now me too, thinking about it, is that

    the book indicates that Al has been getting home visits from a nurse in the present, as he seems to be on friendly enough terms with (is it Doris?) to suggest that she has been visiting him on a regular basis. But because Al had been fine just one day ago (present time) he would have to have come out of the rabbit hole, gone to a doctor, and already had at least one home visit from a nurse within 24 hours. Being from England, I am not sure how likely that is in the USA, and also, I can't remember if the book actualy states how frequently she has been visiting Al.


    If I remeber, when I was reading this I also had the same thoughts but just said "meh, I'm not assed, it's obviously not the important bit and the book is already very engrossing" and just ignored it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,331

    Default Re: Just started reading, Somewhat confused ***SPOILERS***

    Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    GNTLGNT, I am kind of with hn333, whilst I have read it all, and understand that

    Al gets his diagnosis at the end of 4 years in the past which equates to 2 minutes in the present
    , but the strange thing to him, and now me too, thinking about it, is that

    the book indicates that Al has been getting home visits from a nurse in the present, as he seems to be on friendly enough terms with (is it Doris?) to suggest that she has been visiting him on a regular basis. But because Al had been fine just one day ago (present time) he would have to have come out of the rabbit hole, gone to a doctor, and already had at least one home visit from a nurse within 24 hours. Being from England, I am not sure how likely that is in the USA, and also, I can't remember if the book actualy states how frequently she has been visiting Al.


    If I remeber, when I was reading this I also had the same thoughts but just said "meh, I'm not assed, it's obviously not the important bit and the book is already very engrossing" and just ignored it.
    I'm not assed - you sound like my husband. Plus instead of saying 'you're pulling my leg' or something similar he says

    'You're taking the piss".
    We've been married over five years but it took me a while to get used to the difference between Canadians and Scottish folk.
    And this guy is wearing a "syrup of figs" (means 'wig' in Cockney):

    Andy spent some time in London running a pub so he picked up some of that too - the Cockney sayings that is - not the guy in the wig!
    Last edited by Neesy; July 7th, 2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Sorry to hijack this thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •