This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hate to Say I Told you So...

Default Hate to Say I Told you So...

Good evening.

A couple of years back I started a thread concerning migrant workers. I posted if all the laws against legal or even illegal migrant workers were passed we, the United States, would suffer. Dramatically.

If I remember correctly, I posted without the migrant workers we would soon be paying five dollars for a single tomato. And, new home prices would double due to the lack or migrant workers would be afraid to come to America fearing they would be stopped, questioned and maybe imprisoned.

Well, here you go:

http://news.yahoo.com/farmers-worry-...091541852.html

If you read the article, REPUBLICAN farmers are hurting with their crop(s) rotting. Get this quote from the article,

"The industry insists its chronic labor shortage isn't a matter of low pay, but too few Americans willing to deal with the long hours, hot weather and other hardships of farm labor."
    Mexican immigrants, legal or not, ARE willing and desperate to work in those conditions. (Bet you dollars to donuts they are not being paid minimum wage but they DO work.)

The home building industry is in the same position. They can't build houses or are having to charge way more because the immigrants that work hard and CHEAP are not available.

http://www.dwmmag.com/index.php/home.../#.Udt9cG3FCC8

In this article is a quote,

Despite our efforts to recruit and train American workers through the HBI Job Corps program and other programs, our industry faces a very real impediment to full recovery if work is delayed or even cancelled due to worker shortages, said Judson."

American workers seem to not want take a job that pays minimum wage with all the long hours, back breaking work in the heat/cold. But immigrants did take those jobs and worked their azzes off. (Again, most likely not being paid minimum wage?)

Where are all those illegal, (or legal) migrant workers when our economy needs them? Seems like a lot of people are having a change of heart. Not a sincere change of heart but a change of heart when immigrants/lack thereof hits them where it hurts. Their pocketbook.

I'm passionate and sensitive about this subject. (Can you tell?)

Peace.

Default Re: Hate to Say I Told you So...

...and too many of the young folk I see feel they should be payed just for existing, not for doing any...ick...work...

I'm not particularly keen on anyone doing long hours of back breaking work without any health care, legal or illegals. I happen to think there are Americans who would do the job if the return on it was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    I'm not particularly keen on anyone doing long hours of back breaking work without any health care, legal or illegals. I happen to think there are Americans who would do the job if the return on it was decent.
    Good evening , Sir.

I am also not *keen* with human beings doing this kind of work but, so far. only humans can do the work. (No machines have been invented .)

Health care? No offense, migrant workers are just happy that they get to work here in the grand U.S. of A. and make some money.

I happen to think there are Americans who would do the job if the return on it was decent.

That's my point.

According to the the articles, links and quotes I posted...there are no Americans who would do these jobs BECAUSE the job does NOT get a return that is *decent*. These jobs are hard, back breaking...literally.

Why else would these conservative, Republicans be going to congress and asking (begging?) for more lenient laws regarding immigrants? They are going to lose money because the the IMMIGRANTS are not coming here to work!

IF Americans were willing to take these jobs, they would not be working for minimum wages. They would demand 15-20 dollars an hour which would drive up produce, dairy products and construction. Immigrants work for pennies on the dollar and are grateful for it.

Okay, I'm gonna spill my guts.

My Momma, Daddy and Grandparents worked the fields. Their *accommodations* were usually wood structures with little ventilation. No indoor plumbing. ( Outhouses and outdoor water sources).

My Daddy had me and my brothers work the fields for one entire Summer. It was hell. Why? To give us a taste of what our culture endured and still does.

Again, I'm sure we could get Americans to work the fields, dairy, and construction but only if they were paid wayyyy more than minimum wage. And that extra cost will be passed to the consumer. No one will like it and they will complain.

Just my two centavos.

Peace.
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; July 10th, 2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

One summer I topped corn. Another summer, I thinned apricots in an orchard. FOR HALF A DAY. Both of these jobs are hot and itchy and sweaty and exhausting. I got decent money for the corn topping. From sun up to sun down, you're in that corn.

I made crap thinning apricots and I quit at lunch time. The day I was hired, it was pay day and just happened to be a company picnic, so we got off at noon. I hung around and got my paycheck. I started work around 6 or 7 in the morning and worked till noon. I made something like 2.50. TOTAL. For half a days work.

They take you to the orchards and each tree has a price tag on it. This huge friggin' tree standing there is worth 50 cents to thin. And you think you've done a good job, but the boss man comes around and tells you it's not good enough. So you keep on working.

That Spurlock guy has a new show on and the next episode is exactly about this. Working your butt off for nothing. I had the luxury to quit. Mexican field workers didn't and some still don't.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Thank you Ms. Dana Jean.

If I have posted this before, I beg your pardon.

I was a little kid. I walked into my Tio Jose's bedroom. He was changing into a shirt. I saw some *marks* on his back. They were ugly. I asked and he told me.

When he was a teen he worked for a "dirt farmer" that didn't have a horse or even a mule. So, my beloved Tio,...took the job of pulling a plow. The farmer did not believe he was working hard enough or fast enough to pull the plow or the wagon the farmer was riding. So...the farmer whipped him. With an actual horse whip. The whip tore through his shirt and it ...tore... his back. My Tio kept pulling the plow and wagon as the the heat and blood ran down his back. He continued to work through the season despite his injuries. He needed the work and money.

Do you, can you understand this? My Uncle was used as a beast of burden and treated thus. A BEAST of burden.

40 years later I could still see the scars on his back.

Peace.

I am starting to think that MOST King fans are either
    HARD Left or HARD Right , With not much in between.

there are also HARD moderates , People that believe strongly in
    all people becoming Moderates, letting go of the red-blue dichotomy
    Last edited by Tiny; July 10th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.

From sun up to sun down, you're in that corn.
    ...DJ was a "child of the corn"!!!....

It ain't easy being a child of the corn.

Another story:

My husband, in high school (so not that long ago), worked on a full-out cattle ranch. Branding, castrating, birthing, doctoring, mowing hay, getting silage in etc..etc... Again, hard work. But this ranch also had illegal aliens. They were set-up in a bunkhouse type situation (which they had to pay to live in.) They weren't allowed to go to town because INS was a much bigger presence in the area back in the day. So, that means, they also had to rely on someone to do their shopping for them and anything else they might want from town.

These guys did not speak English. Their "boss" was a legal Mexican man who spoke both English and spanish so he was in charge of the illegals. This guy would charge them to get their stuff for them. If they wanted women, he would get them, but he would charge for his services as well as the girls. By the time this guy was done with them, they barely made anything if anything at all. Now, I may word this badly, and I apologize in advance if I do because I do NOT mean anything hateful about this, but this Mexican boss was one of their own. He was them, and yet he exploited his own people. (Which all great dictators do well.) Not that it's good for any race to exploit any other race--but you would have thought this guy would have been busting his ass to take care of these workers.

It was the company store. And these men were trapped in their own Grapes of Wrath. It was disgraceful and I was sickened when my boyfriend (now husband) told me this was happening -- in my neighborhood in my lifetime!

People are not chattel! Pay them a fair wage for a fair day's work. Take care of them. Give them benefits. They are making you rich, boss man. And they are human beings that deserve respect and dignity. When you treat people ugly and lower than an animal, they might just live up to your expectations.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post

I made crap thinning apricots and I quit at lunch time.
    Strawberries is what beat me...nah really, twas that lil' maybe ten year Mexican girl that kept passin' me on the rows (hey now, to be fair to me, she was much lower to the ground ya know...yeah that was kinda pathetic, wuddnit?)...h'okay, the real truth is, it was her bent over skinny as a bird, 'bout sixty possibly goin' on a hundred twenty, grannycita, and she flat out smoked us both, gee whiz and holy smokes could that wee woman pick some berries for ten cents a quart!
    Yeah it was Strawberries that 'bout broke my back (and knees & sun blistered neck), but mind don't entertain for a second that I wasn't no stranger to farm work, hell I'll pat myself on my Pat back and say with not just a little pride, that I was at that time, one top o' the line, top notch farm/ranch hand as a young(er, even) man, you just bet I was I was, and it scarred & busted the ever livin' snot, crap, and all around general stuffing, out of my body for all my troubles...oh, and some moon howlin' lower class tax jaggoff can shove that as far up their 47% pipe as they can cram it & freakin' smoke it, and then your cordially invited to bite me, 'cause me, me I'm all paid up in what I'd have to reckon adds up actual pounds of flesh blood and bone for all them years, don't like that, then start another thread and challenge me, I triple double dog dares ya (that was for you Tiny, and whatever the hell that post was about)
    Now here's a truth, at least as I see it, have seen it, have experienced it first hand more times than I would care to count, the truth is most Americans that would even think they'd do farm work, if the pay was better and there was health bennies, hell, any bennies (you know, besides a fee quart or two of Strawberries), and if they actually had to, they really couldn't, or not for long, yeah maybe til lunch..maybe (I've seen big strong fit young men, industrious one's, not the couch taters), take off like kicked pups at the first crack of a gate.
    Willing to do it, even wanting to do it, it ain't even close to the same 'backy patch as, can do it, and if you don't start young, I mean like teens/early twenties young, good luck with that new career playin' in dirt, cuttin' cabbage and stuff...I use to call 'em farmin' noobs, 'Green Acres', at least til they kept comin' back for a few days, I mean real deal gluttons for punishment should be shown some respect, well, eventually.
    Me see, it was way more fun than a stinky weight room with stinky guys and I got paid to workout (I was big into weight lifting, not body building, but I was a pretty big strong buckeroo at one time, want big muscle, find a farm what needs help), and without fungusin' myself up with the yucky human pig fungus, and outside with the real pig fungus, and monkey around with critters and all their various critter fungusesesesess, and got all kinds of permissions to go fishin's right in all kinds of places I worked, and usually got fed good home cooked vittles, aaaand got to goof around with all manner of wild & wacky expensive equipment I didn't have to own my own self, and I started fairly young (but almost too old at around twenty), and it helped that I really like really hard manual labor (beat liftin' a bar up and down, up & ~yawn~ down......)...they say football players are mostly used up geezers by thirty something, yeah it's about the same with farm work, 'cept the pay is a little off, butt then football is so much more important to our way of life than that silly ol' gotta have food for the masses to eat, cheap labor so we can afford to eat masses, and throw away masses & masses, thang
    I've worked side by side with many a travelin' farm hands (yeah yeah til they pass me by in the rows, but then they come back around so it's like gettin' little visits), broke bread and shared places & spaces (and jugs, and good times, and one mean ol' nasty bbq'ed goat, though that could be what made 'im so yummy), we couldn't get bushel baskets of work done without 'em, they are worthy of so much more respect, than we as an entire country of whiny mass consumers, have ever given them, and petulantly so, those seldom whens.
    Hey ya know that Tommy Jefferson fella, he dreamed of a nation of honest hard workin' sustenance farmers, yeah for a smart guy he really nailed that one, huh;- ) ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast