This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creepshow Poster Artist Question

Default Creepshow Poster Artist Question

Does anyone know who the artist was, that was responsible for the Creepshow ticket taker poster? Was it Bernie Wrightson?

Also, if there are some movie poster artists experts out their - Who was responsible for the original 1985 Fright Night poster?

I've tried googleing these questions and can not find any answers.

Thanks

Default Re: Creepshow Poster Artist Question

The book featured Bernie Wrightson's artwork but I haven't found a definitive answer yet regarding the movie poster.

Though some people credit it to Jack Kamen, who also drew the cover for the Creepshow comic, the ticket taker seems to have been painted by someone known as Joann.

Original Art Painting for Creepshow Movie One-Sheet. This is the original painting that was used in the one-sheet movie poster to promote Stephen King's movie Creepshow. The ghastly image of the ticket seller clutching two admission tickets is quite terrifying. Note the mouse in the pocket of the decaying corpse; both appear quite satisfied with their circumstances. This fantastic piece has amazing detail and is signed "Joann." While the overall condition of the piece is exquisite there has been some moderate restoration. Three approximate 4" tears in the image have been immaculately repaired to the point that they are virtually invisible. Only upon close inspection can the tears and repair work be seen. Original movie poster art is almost never offered for public sale, and this is a must have item for any horror fan. The image area measures approximately 13.5" by 16.5".
    Source: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=803&lotIdNo=93001

Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    Does anyone know who the artist was, that was responsible for the Creepshow ticket taker poster? Was it Bernie Wrightson?

Also, if there are some movie poster artists experts out their - Who was responsible for the original 1985 Fright Night poster?

I've tried googleing these questions and can not find any answers.

Thanks
    I might know this one--I own an original Creepshow ticket taker poster! It was done by artist Jack Kamen, as far as I can tell. I believe a signature is visible on the poster somewhere, if I recall (I am at work now so I can't see the poster right now).

More info here: http://www.terrortrap.com/specialfeatures/movieposters/

As for the Fright Night poster, I don't know the specific artist, but the company that designed that one was called B.D. Fox.

Another good source of poster info in general is here: http://www.impawards.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Though some people credit it to Jack Kamen, who also drew the cover for the Creepshow comic, the ticket taker seems to have been painted by someone known as Joann.

Source: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=803&lotIdNo=93001
    It's possible that signature says "Jack", but I don't have it right in front of me so I can't say.

....good stuff guys!...

Arrgh, I closely scanned my poster over the weekend and there's no signature to be found...I coulda sworn there was one on it! I may be thinking of another poster. Now I'm more confused than ever...who is this mysterious Joann?

Maybe Joann Daley

Hollywood Loses Its Drawing Board : Technology: Computers are rapidly replacing artists who paint movie posters and illustrate advertising campaigns.

Joann Daley has been a Hollywood artist for 22 years. When she started, 40% of advertising and poster art was done by illustrators. Five years ago, she had her best earnings year: $160,000 for movie work. Two years ago her earnings dropped 60%. Last year 70%, when she earned $38,000.

She and her agent husband, James Costello, now work out of Oxnard instead of Los Angeles. There's not enough work in Hollywood but there is still a great demand for illustrated work from advertising agencies in New York and Chicago. Where once she worked on 14 campaigns for just one studio, now she concentrates on images for Dial soap and Motorola.

Ah, you're right Bev, it is Joann Daley! (Of course, telling one of the world's foremost experts on Stephen King that he's right about a SK topic is kind of like pointing out that the sky is blue.)

I confirmed it in the excellent "Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired By Stephen King", which can be read here:
    http://www.rue-morgue.com/monica/sk/SK001-078.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast