This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really didn't like the ending

Default I really didn't like the ending

Can you say deus ex machina? It's like SK got to the end and got sick of writing so much for one book then he said, "Screw it." The funny thing is, it seems like I am not far off after reading his remarks about writing the Stand in On Writing. It seemed so pointless for all this build up to end with such an underwhelming conclusion.

Also, what's up with the cover art of the guy in white and the man in black fighting with a katana and scythe respectively? There were zero scythes or katanas in the entire novel.

Default Re: I really didn't like the ending

I thought the ending was great, and the cover--at least to me--represented the battle between good and evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    I thought the ending was great, and the cover--at least to me--represented the battle between good and evil.
    That makes sense about the cover. I still hoped for some type of climactic battle. The ending was painfully obvious and lacked panache. I was surprised he wrote it when compared to the messages in his other novels.

...the whole "Hand of God" and nuclear explosion wasn't climactic enough for ya???...sheesh!....

I'm not a huge fan of the climax, either, but the fact is that it makes perfect sense given the themes of the novel. Evil collapsing under its own weight, and all that.

I'm sorry you didn't care for the ending. I loved it personally. We each have our own views and opinions. Maybe a different story will be more to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...the whole "Hand of God" and nuclear explosion wasn't climactic enough for ya???...sheesh!....
    You could end any movie or novel with that. Our heroes are about to die, don't worry the hand of God saved them.

Quote Originally Posted by bhamade View Post
    You could end any movie or novel with that. Our heroes are about to die, don't worry the hand of God saved them.
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be to look at it as Flagg being destroyed by his own sloppy evil (the "hand of God" is born out of the ball of energy he releases while killing someone), and all of Las Vegas being taken with him.

Also, "our heroes" still die.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be to look at it as Flagg being destroyed by his own sloppy evil (the "hand of God" is born out of the ball of energy he releases while killing someone), and all of Las Vegas being taken with him.

Also, "our heroes" still die.
    Not Stu because he conveniently and without explanation breaks his leg.

I loved the ending of the Stand.

It just wasn't the brutal battle between good people and evil people in the streets of Las Vegas that people might have been expecting. The characters spend the majority of the books not understanding the supernatural events around them, sometimes being angry about it and lashing out at God for it. Flagg spends the book sure of himself and his invincibility, he sees and knows everything. So God's side doesn't send an army, or even warriors. It's just a few simple people with a lot of issues, and they were there just to stand up with faith. That was the whole point, I think, to prove their faith in the worst moment and show Flagg that he didn't actually have control. He didn't see everything, and didn't know what was going on after all. So a few people who were uncertain (a rock star, an retired atheist professor, a farmer) and didn't look like the best the world had to offer turned to God and defied evil knowing it would kill them. It was a devastating defeat for evil, because it rubbed the failure in Flagg's face. It used Flagg's own devices against him. Flagg wanted the battle, but God never did. I like the idea, evil prepares an army, gathers weapons and nukes, uses magic to watch its enemies, and plans a massacre, and good reacts by sending an old man with arthritis to insult it, and still wins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast