Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun Control & Mr. King's appearance on CBS This Morning

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control & Mr. King's appearance on CBS This Morning

Default Gun Control & Mr. King's appearance on CBS This Morning

I had hoped to write a letter to Stephen King after watching his appearance this morning, but could not find the appropriate address. So, I am posting in this forum with the hope that he might see it.

Mr. King, I had no idea that you pulled your book, Rage, because of the possibility of it being related to the cause of school violence and shooting. I was so incredibly moved by your actions and your condemnation of Wayne LaPierre. I think it quite unusual for someone to give up income in order do the ethically "right thing" and I applaud you for it.

I have spent my entire career working with inner-city youth and have seen the effects of gun violence too many times over 30 years. I don't want to attend the funerals of any more young victims, but I fear it will be inevitable.

I hope you realize that your actions are noticed and give some of us inspiration for what we do every day.

Thank you.

Default Re: Gun Control & Mr. King's appearance on CBS This Morning

...I'm a life member of the NRA, but even I can't deal with the political posturing and inanity from the leaders of the group...I will continue to buy, sell and enjoy firearms...but I do not support radical crap from EITHER side...

the sad reality is...crazy people walkin' 'round with blood in their eyes will kill...oft times randomly...with or witout guns...backround checks...and all the good intentions in the world...

always have...always will

true..it might make it more difficult...in fact, probably would...

'prohibition' didn't stop liqour...beer...'shine...drinking...drunk driving deaths...poverty...

when steve king went on benders with illegal drugs and excessive liquor,...he was breaking the law...ignoring societal norms...endangering his life and the future and safety of his family...yet, he still did it, right ?

laws...limits...prohibitions...they're an easy panacea

if we are to seek a more intelligent use of a thing...maybe we should require a more intelligent use of thought from ourselves first

We are Americans, we have a right to protect ourselves.

Well at least some of us.

Hey but at least I can still vote. Thank you Governor Barbour!

i'm a wee bit over 50 years of age...have lived in 4 different states...not including the states of insanity, delusion or intoxication...i've lived in big, huge gigantic cities (hello NYC and HOTlanta !)...and small...never once did i feel the need to pack heat 'cause the bad guys were everywhere...not once...

ever...

if you decide to dwell in fear...fear is what will lurk for you all the time...the rest is just life as it happens

I don't think it is so much about living in fear as it is being able to protect against the crazies when they act up. Neighbors who live a mile or two down the road in our very rural setting were killed a couple of weeks ago by a couple of kids who beat one and stabbed the other. The kids stole a few items and were soon picked up. What if they had stopped at my home to do the same thing? I don't fear them or what they could do but I like to know that I can protect my family from such nut jobs if they do decide to stop.

I think Mr. King would agree with you Cowboy - in this photo he seems to be saying - Hey - you're # 1!
    (But seriously you do have that right - it's in your Constitution. In Canada we have less guns and stricter rules so I am less fearful of someone breaking into my house with a gun) - a baseball bat maybe

(or a hockey stick!)
    since we're Canadian, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I think Mr. King would agree with you Cowboy - in this photo he seems to be saying - Hey - you're # 1!
    (But seriously you do have that right - it's in your Constitution. In Canada we have less guns and stricter rules so I am less fearful of someone breaking into my house with a gun) - a baseball bat maybe

(or a hockey stick!)
    since we're Canadian, eh?
    From the position of King's thumb and the location of the other two fingers on either side of the erect finger, I don't think he's saying 'You're number one.'

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    From the position of King's thumb and the location of the other two fingers on either side of the erect finger, I don't think he's saying 'You're number one.'
    Yeah - I know it's that silly Canadian thing - like weird Al says in his video about Canadians "What kind of freaks are that polite?" (or something like that) Here is the actual photo:
    I put it behind a spoiler 'to protect the innocent'
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; August 21st, 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Edited at Neesy's request.

I'm glad to see that King uses the East Coast method of finger giving- back there they roll up the hand into a fist and then point the middle finger up, giving it more 'power'. None of that West Coast thing where you point the middle finger up and then bend the remaining fingers at the first knuckle, pretty wimpy in my opinion. Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast