This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gratitude

Default Gratitude

I wish to thank Mr. King. Several months ago - beginning around Christmas, extending through February, into March - I was in "a bad place," mentally, spiritually, physically, etc.; in all the ways one can hurt, I hurt. For well over two months I suffered through a severe depression. Two things, at last, gave me the added strength I needed to pull myself out. One was the procurement of a kitten, and the delight and affection he brought to my life. The other was the work of Stephen King: I began with an old mid-career favorite, "From a Buick 8," then I read finally "The Green Mile," and at last I read his wonderful and relatively new "11/22/63." Reading Mr. King's stories at this point in my life "woke up my brain," fired up those neurons that enable one to think and feel; these stories, well, simply enabled me to experience JOY and FUN again (as well as terror and spookiness in the face of shadow). I am alive now (obviously; no zombie writing here), and I again feel both good in myself and good about art. Mr. King certainly contributed to the latter, and he very well may have contributed to the former. For this, my gratitude.

Thank you for your time, dear moderator,

William B. Fullam

Default Re: Gratitude

I think you were probably addressing Ms. Mod... (and she will see your post tomorrow morning) but welcome, William.
    It's wonderful that Stephen's work has been such a positive for you in a very difficult time. Also... there is nothing like a kitten's love and distraction ability.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

I read his books over and over while dealing with my re-occuring cancer. I swear he kept me from giving up. Welcome to the board.

What an inspiring post. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and that Mr. King was able to help. Welcome to the board; I hope you'll keep posting.

I've posted my personal sK testimony at the SKMB a few times already and so will suffice to say that when I needed him sK was there for me. I hadn't discovered him yet, just knew I needed a new author to help get me out of my severe depression. I needed to read to escape, if the word "escape" is an accurate description of what people do when they read stories, and so I took the word of one of sK's fellow-author friends and gave him a try. sK was the perfect mix of reality/unreality my emotions needed, his imagination provided a ladder capable of reaching me, his style made the ladder easy to use, bizarre, scary fun.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by wbfullam View Post
    I wish to thank Mr. King. Several months ago - beginning around Christmas, extending through February, into March - I was in "a bad place," mentally, spiritually, physically, etc.; in all the ways one can hurt, I hurt. For well over two months I suffered through a severe depression. Two things, at last, gave me the added strength I needed to pull myself out. One was the procurement of a kitten, and the delight and affection he brought to my life. The other was the work of Stephen King: I began with an old mid-career favorite, "From a Buick 8," then I read finally "The Green Mile," and at last I read his wonderful and relatively new "11/22/63." Reading Mr. King's stories at this point in my life "woke up my brain," fired up those neurons that enable one to think and feel; these stories, well, simply enabled me to experience JOY and FUN again (as well as terror and spookiness in the face of shadow). I am alive now (obviously; no zombie writing here), and I again feel both good in myself and good about art. Mr. King certainly contributed to the latter, and he very well may have contributed to the former. For this, my gratitude.

Thank you for your time, dear moderator,

William B. Fullam

...Holy Crap!...was that ever a great post!...

Welcome to the board and thank you for a beautiful post! So glad things are better for you now - keep reading and keep posting!

Glad you joined us here. Welcome to our family here at SKMB. Really great post and straight from your heart. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Do keep coming back. This is indeed a special place to be, there is always a kind word when it is needed. Check out, if you havn't already done so, the thread specifically dedicated to Kittens! Hope to see you 'round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast