This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: A Worthy Adaptation ?

Default A Worthy Adaptation ?

Do you believe that the miniseries was a worthy adaption of IT ?

Is sure do ! Obviously they couldn't put the whole novel into it, and they made some wise cuts ( if I had seen the Loser's shagging in the sewer i would be scarred for life ! )

I thought it was a brilliant adaption and hopefully it'll (no pun intended) be released on Blu-Ray soon.

Default Re: A Worthy Adaption ?

I read IT in installments, usually at the pizza place. It took a while because I don't like pizza. Then I read some other sK stuff, while bathing, and paying bills. Then, months later, they showed IT on TV. I hadn't seen it and tuned in. I was very pleased to be reminded of the story while not minding what was inevitably missing from it.

As for whether that TV production is worthy, I think early attempts by Hollywood or whomever toward taking advantage of sK were generally a little or a lot cheesy. I think the TV IT is kind of cheesy, meaning that I think the story would've appreciated more money, effort, caring about it. The only part nevertheless that I really didn't care for was how

the demise of IT was carried off in terms of film. I think the director and producers could've done way better.

I liked it and I watch it whenever I get a chance.

But I agree with you blunthead that it could have used more caring and effort.

I loved it and still love it. In fact I am about to sit down and watch it again.

I think one of the reasons I really liked it was because it had Tim Curry as Pennywise. Nope, nothing wrong here.

...the movie has a chessy charm to it, and as we all know-wouldn't have been worth a tinker's damn without Tim Curry...as far as the Loser's "sex" scene, no need for that in a movie of any type...that's more approriate as written, for the "screen" of one's mind....it is also a polarizing one-many don't care for it because of the age, but the age is what made it beautiful in my mind-love-mentally, spiritually and physically will always win out in the end...

For me the only good thing was Tim Curry. The rest fails to excite me in any way. And some of the acting and casting leaves a lot to be desired. Johnboy Walton as Big Bill was terrible casting. I'll stick to reading the brilliant book, it's so much better.

I thought the casting was pretty good. And Tim Curry was spot on. He's creepy!

Having said that, the book is always better.

Default Re: A Worthy Adaptation ?

I love it, the actors were 50/50 for me, of the kids - Ben, Ritchie, and Bev were really good, the rest were still quite good. As for the adults, Mike was best actor for me, then Bev, Stan wasn't too bad, but hardly in it. The actors who played Ben, Eddie, Ritchie and Bill were pretty poor for me. Tim Curry was fantastic.

In a nut shell, the acting was not great, the story was (understandably) hacked down to about 20% of the book, the effects were so 1990 and it was all rather cheesey, but still, I love it, I have it on my phone, and as I type, part 2 is on True Entertainment in the UK - adult Ben has just arrived in Derry. I just cought the very end of part 1 just before it.

Default Re: A Worthy Adaptation ?

I have mixed emotions about the mini-series. It was entertaining. I don't despise its very existence as I do say... the Dolan's Cadillac adaptation. All in all, given the restraints of time, censorship of being a made for television mini-series, and the normal movie making process, it turned out surprisingly well. I give credit for that to 1) the story King wrote itself which even morphed and twisted is powerful, 2) The actors who did a bang up job overall, and 3) the filmmaker's clear attempt to at least capture a bit of the book's vibe. To put it simply, I do own the DVD in my collection.

The other shoe has to drop. I'm a bit more harsh than you when I define something as "worthy" or not. In my mind, the series doesn't even come close. It was a good try, but it will be a long time before we ever see a film adaptation that can even come close. There is just too much in the book that filmmaker's haven't learned how to translate. Our minds and imaginations are STILL the best engines for generating pictures, thoughts, angles, and so on. The way the Losers look in my mind is still NOTHING like how they appeared on the screen. They are probably NOTHING like how you visualize them either. That is my point. Our minds construct images which are perfect in our personal context. Sai King is one of those writers who masterfully plays with details so that you fill them in without even knowing he has put you to work.

Movies are a set medium wherein the vision of one (or a mere few) is foisted upon the rest of us. Many people now see Pennywise in terms of Mr. Curry. Do I think he did a great job in the film? Sure. Does he look like Pennywise? No. I submit that the Pennywise all of us saw in our minds long before we saw that film is still far more terrifying. We know our own fears best and thus we construct or own demons better than anyone else. This is true of everything when it comes to cinema. There will be great adaptions, perhaps even a literal adaption someday as we hurtle toward a brave new world. We just aren't there yet. We can enjoy the current one as an homage of sorts. It is just good enough to remind us of the book and in the balance, that is probably all it needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...in my mind-love-mentally, spiritually and physically will always win out in the end...
    Amen and right on, GNT! As for the movie IT, I really wouldn't mind a remake. But it would have to be of the highest quality.