This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Thread That Will Die.

Default A Thread That Will Die.

Good evening,

May you and yours be well.

My son and I watched the move, "The Purge" recently.

In my opinion, this movie was about psycho-social, politico-economics issues. (I'm goofy that way.)

If you have the time/patience/wherewithal to watch "The Purge" I would be very interested on your thoughts and opinion(s).

WARNING!!!! It is very disturbing!!!! On the other hand, I believe it is thought provoking.

(If I get two or three posts on the merits of the movie...I would appreciate it.)

Peace.

Default Re: A Thread That Will Die.

I saw a trailer for it and wasn't sure if it's for me. I'll probably watch it once I get back into catching up on movies because it looks different and as if it was well made.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

I haven't seen it, but (from what I just read) it sounds pretty disturbing. I think I would probably watch it... and then thank (all of) the powers that be, that we don't (currently ) live in a society that would allow something like this.

If I do get to see it, I will definitely report back.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

I ain't seen it, but now I gotta...
    http://www.newfoundersamerica.org/
    What a very interesting way to cull the herd

...I'll be all over it, soon as I finish compulsive re-viewings of The Binge...

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I'll be all over it, soon as I finish compulsive re-viewings of The Binge...
    Sure do hope it's a might better than 'The Colonic'...oh jeez, almost forgot about the sequel, 'High Colonic: The Whole Flush & Nothing Butt The Flush', yeah butty that one 'bout cleaned out the whole theater!....oh my word your absolutely right, nobody should have to see that!

I haven't seen the movie, just the trailers, but I don't buy into the idea that even if murder was legal for a day (or whatever it is in the movie) that people would start murdering each other. Laws don't keep me from murdering people, even people who piss me off or that I don't like. Common decency and repect for human life keep me from murdering people.

Quote Originally Posted by JordyVerrill View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, just the trailers, but I don't buy into the idea that even if murder was legal for a day (or whatever it is in the movie) that people would start murdering each other. Laws don't keep me from murdering people, even people who piss me off or that I don't like. Common decency and repect for human life keep me from murdering people.
    Good point, Jordy. This speaks to fundamental filmmaking, the suspension of disbelief...

Wikipedia reference-linkSuspension of disbelief
    Last edited by blunthead; September 1st, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

I haven't seen the movie, either, but I think I am going to. It seems like a pretty good movie. And Internet also tells me that its genre reminds of the movies like Funny Games and Panic Room. I like these movie, so, there is a chance I might like The Purge, too. As soon as I watch it, I will definitely tell you my opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JordyVerrill View Post
    I haven't seen it, I may watch it next time I'm bored and looking for something different. I have read about it, and agree with Jordy, some things I could see happening:

* As hinted at in reading material, weathly people would be the least impacted because they can afford protection.(The really weathy would be on yachts outside US territory for 24 hours).
    * Theft not murder, might become the most common crime (in some cultures today it is considered just a normal part of life).
    * A lot of "crime" would happen in poorer neighborhoods.
    * I would assume this would encourage gun ownership, no matter the laws.
    * Some gangs would use this to get a better stranglehold on a territory.
    * Other gangs would use it to wipe out revival gangs.
    * Many citzens would end up banding together for protection, as they did before the law was organized.
    * All sorts of "side businesses" would pop up to take advantages of the negatives or postives that could be found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast