Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Possible Nods to Kubrick in King's "The Shining" Mini-Series...

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Possible Nods to Kubrick in King's "The Shining" Mini-Series...

Default Possible Nods to Kubrick in King's "The Shining" Mini-Series...

I recently re-watched the 1997 King scripted made for TV adaptation of "The Shining" and there were two things that struck me as possible references to the Kubrick adaption. I do not think they are especially meaningful, but...

First, there are at least one incident (but I believe 2) of a roque ball mysteriously rolling into shot, echoing the scene in the Kubrick film when ball that Jack repeatedly hurls against the wall in the Colorado room rolls up to Danny while he is playing with his trucks on the carpet. I do not recall a ball being used in this way in King's novel.

Second:
    When Jack is speaking to Delbert Grady at the bar (Lloyd is inexplicably absent so Grady is used in this capacity instead) he at one point says "Women, can't live with them, can't kill them", to which Grady replies "Can't you sir?".

In the Kubrick film when Jack is at the bar talking with Lloyd he says he is having "a little problem with the ole sperm bank upstairs..nothing I can't handle though, Lloyd, right?". Lloyd's response to Jack is "Women, can't live with them, can't live without them". I do not recall any variation of this cliche used in King's novel.

I have to believe these are deliberate nods to the Kubrick film by King, but I am prepared to be wrong if anyone has other thoughts.

Default Re: Possible Nods to Kubrick in King's "The Shining" Mini-Series...

King has been very outspoken about not liking Kubrick's adaption. I don't think he would give him a nod,

...I don't think Unca Steve would give Kubrick more than a deliberate middle finger salute...just coincidence is my guess...

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    King has been very outspoken about not liking Kubrick's adaption. I don't think he would give him a nod,
    Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I don't think Unca Steve would give Kubrick more than a deliberate middle finger salute...just coincidence is my guess...
    Perhaps "nod" is not the correct word; I didn't mean it in a "tip of the hat good sir, I approve of what you did"...more of a playful acknowledgement of the movie that came before.

There is no doubt that King was displeased with much of Kubrick's film, but, that aside, in interviews that I have read/heard he does seem to respect the man to some degree.

It certainly could be a coincidence and I may be reading too much into this...I just think it peculiar that both elements of the story, which are absent from King's own novel, appear in both films.

On a related note, and this is admittedly more of a stretch, in Dr. Sleep there is a scene (I do not have the book handy, so I must paraphrase) in which

Abra's parents ask her doctor "What if she starts seeing dead people, like in that movie" and the doctor replies something like "Then you will have proof of life after death"...Upon reading this I was reminded of this anecdote from an NPR interview earlier this year (though he has related this story several times over the years):

KING: "I can remember talking to the late Stanley Kubrick, who called when he was getting ready to start filming "The Shining," and whatever else you could say about him, he was a thinking cat. You know, he really thought about what he was doing. He didn't just go out there and shoot film. So he said to me, Stephen, don't you feel that anybody who tells a ghost story is basically an optimist because that presupposes the idea that we go on, that we go on into another life? And I said, well, yes, I can see that, but what about hell? And there's this long pause on the other end of the line, and then Stanley Kubrick said in this very stiff voice: I don't believe in hell."

Now I know that the movie Abra's parents are referring to is The Sixth Sense, but I could not help but thinking that this too may have been referencing Kubrick's film and his related comments.

But perhaps I am simply mad.