This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Similar book (ie. modern book with description of the fifties in America)

Default Similar book (ie. modern book with description of the fifties in America)

I loved 11/22/63, especially the part Jake was discovering what was life like in the fifties. Is there a similar book please?

Default Re: Similar book (ie. modern book with description of the fifties in America)

...nothing EXACTLY like 11/22/63..but many of his novels have the "back in time" feel, and the novella "The Body" popped immediately to mind...

Default Re: Similar book (ie. modern book with description of the fifties in America)

Thank you for your answer. I only add I didnt mean only books from Stephen King. But I sure will look into the book you proposed.

IT (the part when they're kids) has an old time feel. One of the reasons why I love it so. And GNT is definitely right about The Body. Love that tale, AND the film.

Quote Originally Posted by michalurban View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I only add I didnt mean only books from Stephen King. But I sure will look into the book you proposed.
    ...it's from the collection of novellas called "Different Seasons"...and was adapted into the movie "Stand By Me"....

Read A Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. The time is about the same.

Ditto . . .it's one of my top favorites and I've told three people about it and they just love it and tell others. Damn good Book.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Read A Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. The time is about the same.

You might enjoy American Tabloid...James Something...Ellroy? Elrod? Story covers a number of years before and up the fateful day in Dallas. He has this...tabloid-style in this story...and he looks at the world through the eyes of three...guess you'd call it law enforcement. There's a few kicks in the pants, the ole willing suspension, but I enjoy ERB, too, so willing suspension has never been a problem for me. You found the drain to the lake and you're going to pull it? Please don't. All the little fishies would be down on that. There's this other...hoot...called USA Confidential, that I wouldn't really recommend, although the style of writing in this one is that, a hoot. The editors/writers speak/write unabashedly about life as they see it, real or imagined problems, in a way that is no longer correct to do so. But this is from the...50s I think...and it is an eye-opener. No way no sir do we get away with this today, as in USA Confidential. Ken Someone...Grimwood? Grimplay? has this story called Replay...that is a take on 1963 via the wayback machine...as I recall. Read some Charles Willeford recently...his Something About a Soldier...well no, I guess that is earlier than the 50s...39 and counting. I guess he wasn't hitting his stride until the 60s, although some of his early stories are set early 60s...he tells a good tale and it worth a read.