This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folk music, Does anyone still listen to it?

Default Re: Folk music, Does anyone still listen to it?

Gordon Lightfoot is a little too hippie for me, but I love Neil Young and Bob, Does Willie Nelson count? Or is he specifically country?

Quote Originally Posted by coolambindang View Post
    Gordon Lightfoot is a little too hippie for me, but I love Neil Young and Bob, Does Willie Nelson count? Or is he specifically country?
    Hi,

Good point. Yeah, Willie counts all right. It's only record company guys in suits that like to seperate music into strict definitions and genres, never the musicians themselves.

In just the same way that Sai King is categorised and marginalised by the establishment (IMO) as a 'horror' writer.

Many shades of grey, but no black and whites.

John Lennon, who knew something about the subject, held that ALL music was folk music because it was played and written by folk, and I'd go along with that.

The question that all musicians hate is 'What kind of music do you play?', on a par with 'Where do you get your ideas?' to Sai King, and I always reply 'Folk'n'country, rock'n'blues' to it.

Largely because I take a childish delight in replying to being asked the hated question, 'Folk'n'count....'.!

Long days and pleasant nights

Yes, I love folk music and mountain music as well. Grew up on it. All so grew up on swing, big band, rock, country, blue grass, gospel. Very musical family.

Yes, I love Neil Young. I often go to the cropredy folk festival which has an amazing atmosphere. Its the only festival where someone announces that a wallet has been found and handed in over the mic. It has a real ale bar and the whole village welcome and entertain all the visitors.

LongTallSally Guest

Well, I am of the opinion that Stan Rogers died way too young. That man had a set of pipes, boy...

Yeah, I like some folk music.

I liked Valdi...my folks had some of his stuff.....

Sue do you go to Blue On Whyte....the blues bar in old Stratcona?

I do love the canadian singer Gordon Lightfoot....If you could read my mind.

How about Ian Tyson?

I sure am glad it is still being listened too, a lot mentioned by several of you guys i also listen too. I was thinking with all the stuff out there today our younger generation is really missing out on the grass roots music that is out there. ( Woody Gauthrie, for one, the father of folk.)

Hell yea! My answer is D. All of the above. Love it!!! Mostly Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot, anything I can find from the 70's usually good. Although, Disco still sucks tho, IMO.

How about Murray Mclauchian a little country in there but folky too. By the way Old Gordon Lightfoot, was kind of a hippie i guess but i don't agree about his music. Do you realize the amount of artists who have rerecorded his songs and got hits from them? Relisten and rethink , me thinks!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast