Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
whats the latest movie you have watched? - Page 147

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 147 of 287 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2863

Thread: whats the latest movie you have watched?

Default Re: whats the latest movie you have watched?

Last night I watched "Paths of Glory" (1957), which was excellent. I'm actually surprised I'd never seen it before.

I recently read "Lisey's Story" (I would have read it years ago, but I lost my copy when I was about 100 pages into it, and never obtained another; the one I read was from the library), and was so curious about all the references to "The Last Picture Show," that I viewed that too. It was OK. I wasn't really that into it...but it was kinda erotic, LOL.

Rec 2- pure ****.

We Are Marshall (2006) - This was a tough movie for me to watch. It starts with the 1970 plane crash that killed pretty much destroyed the football program by killing the football team, coaches, and trainers. Then the movie deals with the school trying to rebuild the football program with the help from new head coach Jack Lengyel (portrayed by Matthew McConaughey) and deal with the town's reluctance to move forward. There are a few historical inaccuracies, but that doesn't keep me from thinking highly of the movie. Considering the subject matter, it'll certainly make you choke up at times so you might need a box of tissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Laymonking View Post
    Rec 2- pure ****.
    No way, that movie was excellent. I'm not sure why you didn't like it, but over at IMDB, all the Richard Dawkins fan boys are upset because there's a super-natural angle, and they felt betrayed because they wanted a purely materialist explanation for the zombie phenomenon, as the first movie hinted at. I really don't understand this thing where any movie that has a super-natural theme now gets assailed by mobs of radical Atheists who claim its impossible for them to enjoy movies "about things that aren't real." I'm no longer an Atheist, but I was one for most of my life, and I never felt like my worldview was being threatened by super-natural horror. Just as now that I'm a Christian, some other Christians think its strange I still enjoy horror fiction & movies. Although I frankly don't see any contradiction, in either case. I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation why I should have ever felt bothered by super-natural fiction, either as an Atheist, or as a Christian.

Like I said, I'm not sure why you disliked "[REC] 2," but so far, every single person I've encountered who had a strongly negative reaction towards it, had this weird, Atheist-activism oriented reason for hating it. I hope you hate it for some other reason, because the reason people over at IMDB all seem to have, is really, really stupid. I've even had people tell me I shouldn't read Stephen King books, because Stephen King is a Democrat! That's what Atheists who are offended by "[REC] 2" remind me of. There's something wrong with this society, where everyone's turning into a sort of fanatic who's expected to dislike anyone or anything that deviates from their beliefs (Orson Scott Card has written about that in his "Empire" novels, so its not just me). And before the 1990s, it wasn't like that. But something tells me, we ain't going back. We're just going to keep getting more and more alienated from each other, until a freakin' civil war erupts over some stark difference of opinion about some moral and/or political question. So yeah, I think its fair to say I hope you disliked this movie for some other reason altogether, LOL!

(I got a little wound up there, it seems...tell me you just didn't like the acting, or whatever...please!)

Speaking of "pure ****," I've got a movie that would make almost anyone regard "[REC] 2" as a masterpiece, by comparison. A few hours ago, I made the mistake of watching the 2010 horror film called "The Shrine." Now THAT movie is pure garbage. Its just bad on nearly every level. Avoid at all costs, and if you do see it, don't say you weren't warned.

Uncle Buck. It's a rather old, but very nice family movie, I had a good time watching it.

Anger Management....Hubby just finds that movie hilarious. It seems to be his go to movie for laughs.

I watched Basket Case, an eighties cult horror flick about a guy that carries his conjoined twin (no longer conjoined, separated at the age of twelve) around with him in a wicker basket.

And Blue Valentine, starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. It was made well, great acting and directing, and the film was scored by Grizzly Bear, which is cool, but it is one of the most miserable films I have seen in a long, long time. There should be a warning not to watch it if you're going through a breakup.

Watched Contagion. Sorely disappointed. An hour into the movie I asked my friend, 'Shouldn't something exciting, scary, something, be happening by now?' When the movie ended (finally) there was an audible gasp in the audience.( A gasp of what-the-heck! Is that all there is?) Including mine. As my friend and I were getting up to leave I said that the movie would be something I would have expected from a basic cable channel. Or maybe SyFy. The three people who were sitting in the row in front of us overheard my comment and agreed with my comments. Bummer.
    JMO

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I gotta admit, I love Identity. The subject matter is right up my alley--special crazy people. The first time I saw it it was not predictable to me. I watch it on TV just about whenever it comes on.

Last night watched No Country for Old Men again, picked up on a couple things I'd missed before. I love Bardem in it, and I like the way it plays out.
    Exactly, Blunt! Thank you.