This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 239 of 287 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 2863

Thread: whats the latest movie you have watched?

Default Re: whats the latest movie you have watched?

I tried to post my weekly cinema visits with one-line reviews, but had problems and couldn't do it after October last year. Here is the first bit of catch-up, to the end of last December:
    Hotel Transylvania – tolerable CGI feature
    Frankenweenie – Time Burton animation: all style, no substance (as usual)
    Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted – inventive and extremely funny 3D CGI feature
    Silent Hill: Revelation – unnecessary sequel
    Skyfall – atypical Bond with great performances and artistic vision
    Argo – involving true(-ish) life drama
    Here Comes The Boom – improbable but oddly enjoyable
    Love Bite – awful British teen horror with alleged comedy
    The Twiglet Saga: Breaking Wind 2 – Sulky Bella goes out with a superhero movie
    Silver Linings Playbook – funny, moving, a touch manipulative
    Gambit – so-so comedy caper remake
    End Of Watch – camcorder LA cops on the beat: good performances, film not so great
    Alex Cross – huh? What happened to Morgan Freeman?
    So Undercover – we Brits don’t understand sororities (or Miley Cyrus)
    Rise Of The Guardians – good seasonal CGI feature
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – same ingredients as Lord Of The Rings in a much more slender story: feels bloated
    Seven Psychopaths – comedy drama which isn’t quite as smart as it thinks it is
    Parental Guidance – enjoyable but undemanding family comedy
    Pitch Perfect – fun with enjoyable music
    Life Of Pi – visually spectacular (especially in 3D) but there is rather less in it than meets the eye, despite what the makers think

Up to the end of February:
    Quartet – classy British geriatric comedy
    Gangster Squad – so-so period crime drama
    The Impossible – gripping true-life tale of family separated during tsunami
    Les Miserables – strong adaptation of stage show, not to everyone’s taste
    Texan Chainsaw 3D – indifferent bloody horror
    The Last Stand – Schwarzennegger comeback action – adequate
    Django Unchained – entertaining Tarantino, less self-indulgent than usual
    Zero Dark Thirty – boring telling of something which shouldn’t be boring
    Movie 43 – truly awful all-star episodic comedy which sacrifices laughs in favour of attempted outrage
    Lincoln – manages to be entertaining as well as worthy: Day Lewis deserved his Oscar
    Flight – Decent drama which concentrates on the character rather than the events
    Bullet To The Head – Stallone comeback action – adequate
    I Give It A Year – unusual Brit romcom
    Warm Bodies – Romeo and Juliet with zombies
    A Good Day To Die Hard – Willis comeback action – adequate (but only just)
    Beautiful Creatures – Twiglet with witches instead of glittery vampires, and more sympathetic characters
    Sammy’s Great Escape – so-so animated turtle shenanigans
    Wreck-it Ralph – terrific CGI movie – exciting, inventive, funny, glorious eye-candy
    This Is 40 – so-what comedy drama from Apatow
    Song For Marion – touching Brit geriatric drama with smiles
    Cloud Atlas – terrific adaptation of wonderful book

And, up to date:
    Mama – decent horror with effective monster
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters – daft, spoiled by unnecessary bad language
    Safe Haven – Josh Duhamel as everyman hero in remake of Sleeping With The Enemy
    Fire With Fire – Josh Duhamel as everyman hero in fireman vs racist crime boss
    Parker – Ethical criminal betrayed by colleagues
    Side Effects – medical and legal ethics drama leads us up the garden path
    Oz The Great And Powerful – Wizard Of Oz prequel doesn’t play fair with one of its characters. Looks good, though
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone – likeable comedy
    Stolen – Ethical criminal betrayed by colleague. Josh Lucas hugely entertaning (if preposterous)
    Red Dawn – unimpressive remake with awful central performance by Josh Peck
    Identity Thief – another comedy which fails due to being dependent on deeply unpleasant central character
    The Croods – CGI cavemen, trailed as about the daughter, actually about the dad
    Jack The Giant Slayer – undemanding glossy fun fantasy
    The Paperboy – muddled and unpleasant drama
    GI Joe: Retaliation – inferior sequel to a film which wasn’t that good in the first place
    Welcome To The Punch – James McEvoy as London copper
    Trance – James McEvoy as amnesiac art curator
    The Host – soppy sci-fi (from Twiglet
    Dark Skies – horror baddies are aliens, not ghosts/demons etc
    The Odd Life Of Timothy Green – vegetable boy arrives for childless couple in odd but likeable fable with no clear lesson
    Oblivion – Tom Cruise sci-fi blockbuster where all is not what it seems
    Spring Breakers – manages to make outrageous bikini girls boring
    Olympus Has Fallen – Koreans invade the White House: ridiculous but fun
    Scary MoVie – Ashley Tisdale replaces Anna Faris in spoof of recent horrors
    Evil Dead – remake of classic video nasty doesn’t like up to claims on its poster
    Promised Land – low key environmental drama
    Love Is All You Need – Pierce Brosnan in pleasing Danish drama/comedy
    Iron Man 3 – surprisingly funny 3rd instalment

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I still haven't read the book or seen the movie! I really want to read the book, I've heard such great things about it.
    I was very impressed with the novel, not so much with the movie. They really did follow the book very closely, so it wasn't that things were changed or left out from the book. I hope that there will be a written sequel, there's alot of different ways that the rest of the story could go!!

I went to see Oblivion this weekend. It was decent but unimpressive. It was very derivative of other, better sci-fi flicks and all through the movie I had the feeling that I had seen all this before. And it was a bit on the slow side. And even though this was a big budget visual FX spectacle, I think this movie will be better when viewed on home video, where expectations will be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I still haven't read the book or seen the movie! I really want to read the book, I've heard such great things about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I was very impressed with the novel, not so much with the movie. They really did follow the book very closely, so it wasn't that things were changed or left out from the book. I hope that there will be a written sequel, there's alot of different ways that the rest of the story could go!!
    I loved the book so much, haven't seen the movie (that sentence makes sense to me).

However, I heard the movie is very good.

FlakeNoir, give it a try, if you have a chance. It's pretty authentic, in some ways, and great writing.

Rewatched Remember Me, this time I showed it to my cousin. Was glad she liked it too. I still think it is a great movie, very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    I went to see Oblivion this weekend. It was decent but unimpressive. It was very derivative of other, better sci-fi flicks and all through the movie I had the feeling that I had seen all this before. And it was a bit on the slow side. And even though this was a big budget visual FX spectacle, I think this movie will be better when viewed on home video, where expectations will be lower.
    I disagree, that it was unimpressive. I understand where you are coming from in regards to feeling like you have seen it before, it does feel like a few different sci-fi's spliced together in places. However I really enjoyed it and found some of the scenes unsettling, specifically any involving the drones who I found quite creepy.

Its a movie that does look incredible, and I was worried the ending would either not hold up to the rest of the movie and be too anticlimatic, or would be over the top and silly. But I felt it complimented the rest of the film well and made the story well rounded.

It's not the best sci-fi I've ever seen but I found it extremely entertaining to watch and would recommend it to anyone who is a sci-fi fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    Rewatched Remember Me, this time I showed it to my cousin. Was glad she liked it too. I still think it is a great movie, very touching.
    That is a bad, bad movie.

I had a panic attack in the movie theatre as soon as I realized what was about to happen.

I had an uncle we thought we lost in the towers so anything 9/11 is bad for me and the fact that I didn't know when I went into the movie did not okay things to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    That is a bad, bad movie.

I had a panic attack in the movie theatre as soon as I realized what was about to happen.

I had an uncle we thought we lost in the towers so anything 9/11 is bad for me and the fact that I didn't know when I went into the movie did not okay things to me.
    Yeah, I know that for many people this is tragic, and you do not like to be reminded of this event... Me, I cry every time I am watching the movie, I am so sorry for all the losses... But the movie is still great for me, both the main subject and the ending, this movie taught me a lot. “Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it” (c).