This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween

Default Halloween

I saw the original Halloween years ago. If memory serves correctly, it didn't show a lot of blood or graphic violence compared to recent horror movies, but used setting and music to build the tension. I'd rank it as one of the great all-time horror movies.
    I saw the 2007 remake of it over the weekend. It was interesting to see Michael Myers's background, but it turned into another blood-bath movie. Once he got back to Haddonfield I fast forwarded to the end.
    I'd like to read comments from old folks like me who saw the original way back when.

Default Re: Halloween

It's been years since I saw the original Halloween, but I do remember how it was a "clean" scary, not like the gore movies of today. Heck, back then the Friday the 13th movies were considered over-the-top, and they're nothing compared to the movies made now.

I do still remember that music from Halloween....creepy, scary...it made the movie.

Last fall I was at a pumpkin festival in NH and there were several people dressed up in scary costumes. One was Mike Myers; he had the coveralls, the mask with hair, a huge knife; made me feel like a kid again as I took a wide detour around him as he stood there wide-shouldered, not moving.

i've watched the original a couple years ago and thought it was pretty good.haven't had a chance to see the sequel, part 6, or rob zombie's yet.in august they're bringing out H2 and it'll focus more on Laurie and how the events of the first film affected her 2 years later. from the trailer it takes place mostly in a hospital.

i agree. i am only 36 but i remember watching it and being very scared of closets. the original made you scared of the shadows in the corners. the new one just made you want to close your eyes especially

when the girl was raped by michael and the other guy in the crazy hospital
    the new one is sick.

i LOVE that movie, i've seen it so many times over the last 13 years. the sequels are so ridiculous, it's easy to forget just how scary the first one is. it's got some terrible acting in it and some really cheesy parts to the script, at times, but it works so well. i think it's the minimalism that makes it so scary. all the gore in modern films just makes me cringe, disgusted, but it doesn't have the same fear factor as a movie like 'halloween', which plays on a really primal terror: that someone's watching you, always just out of the corner of your eye.

i think one of the most terrifying things in a film ever is when laurie looks out her bedroom window and sees michael standing stock still just watching her, with the sheets blowing around him on the clothes line, and then she looks away and when she looks back he's gone. i love how the whole film is like maybe she's just imagining it, and she keeps trying to tell herself to forget it because she's just imagining things, but in the end it turns out that no he's real, he's really there. it's like everyone's worst nightmare, isn't it?

and when she kills him but then discovers the body is gone...well, it's such a silly cliche with these movies now but i think in that first film it was great because it was like it was saying no, you can't destroy fear, it will always creep up on you again, you'll never be 100% certain that the thing in the shadows is gone. and obviously you really don't need a big budget and buckets of blood to get that message across!

I love the original version of Halloween. Saw it 2001 or 2002 don't remember. But the remake was bad. It was one of the worst made Halloween movie. I'll guess it would have been better if John Carpenter have directed it.

you know whats funny about the series? the only ones that were meant to have Myers was the first two. each installment after that were ment to be about different horrifying events that take place on halloween. hence why halloween 3 is so different. but when people complained about where michael was they decided to bring him back for the 4th film. but when they got to H20 they retconned 4, 5, and 6. not sure how ressurection had to do with the kill a family member storyline since the story pretty much ended after the first 10 minutes with Lauries death.

The orginal Halloween is a classic movie of the horror genre it is a great film.
    The remake well sucked pure and simple, it was made by a rockstar and his last films proved he ain't a film maker. The new Halloween film looks worse than the orginal remake.
    Sad to see a great series go down hill.

halloween was the only film to give me nightmares, it was knowing that what ever you did he would not die and would always come back and not knowing when thats what made it scary for me, most of these new horror films that rely on blood and gore might gross you out but they don't really scare, IMHO of course!

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I saw the original Halloween years ago. If memory serves correctly, it didn't show a lot of blood or graphic violence compared to recent horror movies, but used setting and music to build the tension. I'd rank it as one of the great all-time horror movies.
    I saw the 2007 remake of it over the weekend. It was interesting to see Michael Myers's background, but it turned into another blood-bath movie. Once he got back to Haddonfield I fast forwarded to the end.
    I'd like to read comments from old folks like me who saw the original way back when.
    Okay - glad to oblige. I saw Halloween at the theater when it was a first run movie. I was a freshman in college and the theater was full of college students. It was one of the first times I ever remember the audience yelling at the actors on the screen, as if they could hear them. Halloween was one of the scariest movies ever, and there was very little graphic violence. The music and the surprises generated the real fear. This movie cost next to nothing to make, especially compared to today's big budgets. And just think how much it has made over the years - and it has become classic horror fare. This was John Carpenter showing us his genius and we loved it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast