This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Word of the Day...

Default Re: Word of the Day...

brio

\BREE-oh\ , noun:
    1.Enthusiastic vigor; vivacity; liveliness; spirit.

Quotes:
    • Though my judgment was no doubt affected by all the wine we'd consumed, I remember being elated by our performance that night: our inspired spur-of-the-moment dialogue, the actors fleshing out their roles with such brio.-- Gail Godwin, Evensong

• For him, life must be a party, a ball, an endless carnival. Each person must invent a role for himself and play it with brio.-- Lydia Flem, Casanova: The Man Who Really Loved Women (translated by Catherine Temerson)

• The Internet has always been home to plenty of unvarnished brio.-- Timothy L. O'Brien, "Corporate Love Letters: Youstink.Com", New York Times, April 4, 1999

Myxopoiesis (mik-so-poy-e-sis) n. Mucus production.

Tristram blamed his allergies for his excessive myxopoiesis

Defenestration
    Pronunciation:\(ˌ)dē-ˌfe-nə-ˈstrā-shən\
    Function:noun
    Etymology:de- + Latin fenestra window
    1 : a throwing of a person or thing out of a window
    2 : a usually swift dismissal or expulsion (as from a political party or office)

nyctalopia \nik-tuh-LOH-pee-uh\ (noun): reduced visual capacity in faint light (as at night); night blindness

Example Sentence: Bernard suffers from progressive nyctalopia; as a result, he can no longer drive at night. (source: M-W online.)

Quote Originally Posted by Perse Jr. View Post
    skosh \SKOHSH\ (noun): a small amount; bit, smidgen

Example Sentence: I only like a skosh of lemon in my iced tea.
    My brother uses this word a lot. I always thought it was just some funny word he made up.

Duenna (do̵̅o̅ en′ə, dyo̵̅o̅-)
    noun
    1.an elderly woman who has charge of the girls and young unmarried women of a Spanish or Portuguese family
    2.a chaperon or governess
    Etymology: Sp dueña < L domina, mistress: see dame

from Needful Things
    "If Nettie's willing to go see him without a duenna, I ought to check him out. The guy must really be a charmer"

Hebetude (heb-i-tood) - noun - mental dullness or sluggishness; lethargy

My lack of sleep led to a day of hebitude for me.

Adipocere

or grave wax or mortuary wax is a water-insoluble material consisting mostly of saturated fatty acids. It is formed by the slow hydrolysis of fats in decomposing material such as a human cadaver by action of anaerobic bacteria. The transformation of fats into adipocere occurs best in the absence of oxygen in cold and humid environment, such as in wet ground or mud at the bottom of a lake or a sealed casket, and it can occur with both embalmed and untreated bodies. Corpses of infants and overweight persons are particularly prone to adipocere transformation. Adipocere formation begins within a month of death, and in the absence of air it can persist for centuries.[1] An exposed, infested body or a body in a warm environment is unlikely to form deposits of adipocere.

It is generally believed to have first been discovered by the Frenchman Fourcroy in the 18th century; however, Sir Thomas Browne describes this substance in his discourse, Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial of 1658:

"In a Hydropicall body ten years buried in a Church-yard, we met with a fat concretion, where the nitre of the Earth, and the salt and lixivious liquor of the body, had coagulated large lumps of fat, into the consistence of the hardest castle-soap: wherof part remaineth with us."
    In essence, in this process the usual dissolution of putrefaction is replaced by a permanent firm cast of fatty tissues and even internal organs and face. This allows some estimation of body shape and facial features, and injuries are often well-preserved. Dr Augustus Granville is believed to have somewhat unwittingly made candles from the adipocere of a mummy and used them to light the public lecture he gave to report on the mummy's dissection.[2]

The Mütter Museum possesses the Soap Lady, the body of an extremely obese woman, which was almost entirely saponified

Curtain lecture: A private lecture by a wife to her husband.

Eugene's first curtain lecture was sufficiently unpleasant that he hoped it would be his last.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Adipocere

or grave wax or mortuary wax is a water-insoluble material consisting mostly of saturated fatty acids. It is formed by the slow hydrolysis of fats in decomposing material such as a human cadaver by action of anaerobic bacteria. The transformation of fats into adipocere occurs best in the absence of oxygen in cold and humid environment, such as in wet ground or mud at the bottom of a lake or a sealed casket, and it can occur with both embalmed and untreated bodies. Corpses of infants and overweight persons are particularly prone to adipocere transformation. Adipocere formation begins within a month of death, and in the absence of air it can persist for centuries.[1] An exposed, infested body or a body in a warm environment is unlikely to form deposits of adipocere.

The Mütter Museum possesses the Soap Lady, the body of an extremely obese woman, which was almost entirely saponified
    Ewwww. That left some pretty gross images in my mind!

SK uses the word "rugose" frequently in his early books. Like Ingo Montoya's son, 'I do not thing that word means what you think'!

Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast