This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very Underrated

Default Re: Very Underrated

I agree. I loved the book and the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BCush1 View Post
    . . . My only complaint was that it left out the whole wheel of fortune segment. But a great film nonetheless.

The movie often gets overlooked when listed the best adaptations of King's work.
    Yeah, they did leave that out, but the way the rest of the movie was written and made, everything worked for me, everything fit right for me.

Walken brought just the right kind of sympathy to the role to make me feel and think about what this guy must be acting on and feeling. I like this movie, and it is often overlooked as you said.

I finished the book yesterday and loved it. I saw i can see it for free at imdb.com so ill check it out there. And if i like ill buy it. Which I probably will anyway since I have a sk movie section next to the books.

I havc a different view of the film than most for ....well, different reasons. I was working in a movie theater when this film came out and saw the first 10 minutes and the last ten minutes FAR too often. It doesn't matter what film it was, if it had a long run in the theater I was working in.....I got a little sick of it.

Don't even ask me about Footloose or Risky Business.

I disagree with Carrie (love that movie!), but The Dead Zone ranks up there with some of the best Stephen King adaptions. Christopher Walken was perfect to play Johnny, since he's eccentric enough as an actor to make the character believable. And while there were changes (and it could have been better with a bigger budget), I thought that the movie transferred well to screen.

I pull this movie out every now and then and watch it. It not only ranks as one of my favorite SK adaptions, it's also one of my favorite movies of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    I agree. It's one of the King adaptations that has gone unseen by too many. In contrast to Kubrick's version of The Shining I think Cronenberg was more faithful to the spirit of King's novel.
    I also think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Whats cowbell about????
    I forgott...
    It's a reference to a very funny Christopher Walken SNL skit.

Wow. I was actually shocked to see all the great reviews of this movie. maybe its just me, and thats very likely ha, but I really had a hard time getting through it. I just finished reading 'The Dead Zone' last week and LOVED it. Really great book and after I saw there was a movie I decided to check it out as well. I was extremely dissappointed. I mean yes they touched on some major points but to me they missed the spirit of the characters (Johnny, Sarah, Greg Stillson, Frank Dodd, Vera Smith, and the list goes on). I understand that with a book-to-movie adaptation some changes have to be made but to me they really dropped the ball with this one. And I don't say this to knock anyone's opinion. I'm sure there are movies I like that people would rip to pieces and thats not what I'm trying to do here. I just really loved the book and thought this could have been a great movie. hopefully they'll try again one day...

i just finished The Dead Zone last night! it was amazing and i would recommend it to any of my friends. but i haven't seen the movie or show or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by JSP552003 View Post
    Wow. I was actually shocked to see all the great reviews of this movie. maybe its just me, and thats very likely ha, but I really had a hard time getting through it. I just finished reading 'The Dead Zone' last week and LOVED it. Really great book and after I saw there was a movie I decided to check it out as well. I was extremely dissappointed. I mean yes they touched on some major points but to me they missed the spirit of the characters (Johnny, Sarah, Greg Stillson, Frank Dodd, Vera Smith, and the list goes on). I understand that with a book-to-movie adaptation some changes have to be made but to me they really dropped the ball with this one. And I don't say this to knock anyone's opinion. I'm sure there are movies I like that people would rip to pieces and thats not what I'm trying to do here. I just really loved the book and thought this could have been a great movie. hopefully they'll try again one day...
    honestly... I couldn't agree more.

Now don;t get me wrong the book was great, one of the best, so my high expectations may have ruined he movie for me in some ways.

If it had a bigger budget I'm sure they could have been even more faithful to the book... E.G. the fire scene which is in the book is replaced by a hockey on ice scene... talk about complete opposite haha

Christopher Walkin's acting was great but I didn't see him as a Jonny tbh... however the Jonny from The Dead Zone TV show was on the button.

I know when doing an adaptation for a film audience things need to be changed, but it just didn't sit quite right (like Greg Stillson's hat) with me.

The actor who played Greg Stillson though was in my opinion, great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast