This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: No one's seen Firestarter?

Default Re: No one's read Firestarter?

I have read the book a couple of times and can not say how many times I have seen the movie.Love them both.Also seem rekindle Carrie 2.I believe I enjoyed the orginal Carrie best.

I still haven't read this book, but I've seen the movie. I'm sure the book is 100 times better, so I'll have to get to it someday.

Just started reading this. I think I may have read it before, when I was younger. My favorite line so far:

"People with no money disappeared in New York; they dropped into the sidewalks, never to be seen again."

Ah Firestarter, another one from my youth....
    This was one of the only Stephen King novels that I read AFTER seeing the movie. I fell in love with Charley (sp?)....her torment, the fight against her power (not wanting to be bad)...but then succumbing to the power (enjoying being bad)...I related to her (only without the pyrokinesis of course)

A great story, with both the movie and the novel having different pros and cons. Having been so long since I've read it however, I have no specific examples or arguments....perhaps it's time to whip it out again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiaraven View Post
    ....perhaps it's time to whip it out again!
    Hi,

Aye, perhaps.

I liked the film too, anything with George C. Scott in it is fine with me, but the book is almost certainly better than you remember it - they invariably are IMO.

Long days and pleasant nights

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

We (on the board) don't seem to mention this one much. I enjoyed the book and thought the movie was decent. I thought young Drew Barrymore was excellent.

I just re-read it this year and it stands up well to the test of time except for any and all mentions of people interfacing with computers. Of course this book was written when personal computers were in their infancy--and you can definitely tell when you read Firestarter.

People read it, but they don't talk about it for some reason. It introduces The Shop and all and there is a lot to like about it, yet it hardly ever gets discussed.

One of those mysteries. Like there is an energy that comes with something that is created, some things skyrocket and people talk about it forever. And other things just go unnoticed mostly and there seems not much to say about it.

It's a retread of Carrie, but only to a degree - they're both girls with special powers. But they're completely different kinds of books.
    It's a very good book, everyone agrees, but there the discussion stops.

Just finished another re-read of this a month or so ago . . .

Loved it but . . .IMO maybe it's not one of his best?

I thought it was among his best, the very best even. Just quite overlooked. Maybe also because it (and the film) didn't come with quite such an iconic central image like most of his early work has. The character of Charlie also seems to resonate less with people than a lot of other King characters.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast