Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
No one's seen Firestarter? - Page 7

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: No one's seen Firestarter?

Default Re: No one's read Firestarter?

I think this is one of the best he's ever written but the writing itself was a little, inexperienced sounding? He has polished his art to a fine degree now and I think it's time he revisited Charlie. Like he's going to listen to me...

Heather Locklear was hot in the movie....I guess that really wasn't the point of the thread....but it's true, it really is...

To me his writing never felt inexperienced after Carrie. The leap from Carrie to Salem's Lot always felt astonishing. I don't know if he ever explained how that was possible.

I don't know if his later work is really all that polished, it seems to have shifted from more action oriented to far more inward and more about individuals - or at least told from within the individuals - than about groups of people. His later works often seem messier to me than his early classics (the stretch from Salem's Lot to Misery broadly). His later works are far more meandering and pondersome .

Is pondersome a word? Okay, I'm in a hurry, can't check.
    And everything you post here you can NEVER change again. NEVER! Think about that, it will stay on this board til the Great Old Ones come back and decide it is time to pull the plug on Internet! Terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    To me his writing never felt inexperienced after Carrie. The leap from Carrie to Salem's Lot always felt astonishing. I don't know if he ever explained how that was possible.

I don't know if his later work is really all that polished, it seems to have shifted from more action oriented to far more inward and more about individuals - or at least told from within the individuals - than about groups of people. His later works often seem messier to me than his early classics (the stretch from Salem's Lot to Misery broadly). His later works are far more meandering and pondersome .

Is pondersome a word? Okay, I'm in a hurry, can't check.
    And everything you post here you can NEVER change again. NEVER! Think about that, it will stay on this board til the Great Old Ones come back and decide it is time to pull the plug on Internet! Terrifying.
    You're right about the difference in writing between Carrie and Salem's Lot. I guess the word I was looking for wasn't polished so much as detailed? And it's more a personal preference thing also. I prefer more detail and depth to stories, more back story, a more "pondersome" story! Some people enjoy the 1,2 punch story.

I'm afraid this is another of those stories Stephen has written which just doesn't seem to hit the mark. The mark being the high expectations his fans had of him at the time. His allusion to Gene Simmons should have been omitted. It simply takes away from that "otherworld" atmosphere he tries to build in his stories.

I like a lot of Stephen's work, and truly love some of it; but it's stories such as this that I find disappointing. Just not my "cup 'o tea, I s'ppose"

Haven't read it yet. Once I'm done The Shining, which I just started yesterday, I may go on to this one.

I really liked Firestarter. Not in my top favorites, no, but still a good read. I want stephen to step out of his box and often! He doesn't always have to have "otherworld" ideas in his writings. I want him to stay fresh and I want to read more than just otherworld connections. They are fun, for sure, but I want him to stretch himself.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Been awhile since I reread Firestarter, but I remember loving the book. Mr. King has an special talent for fleshing out his child characters that really makes them stand out. Maybe time to for me to revisit Charlie...

This is the movie thread about Firestarter. We sort of took it off track earlier. What did everyone think of the MOVIE? I have only seen bits and pieces of the actual movie, in fact, saw those bits before I read the book and the movie looked so stupid, I never picked the book up. Until the last year or so. THe book is definitely superior to that movie crap.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Default Re: No one's seen Firestarter?

I hate the movie. But I dislike the book, so...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast