Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Robert R McCammon - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert R McCammon

Default Re: Robert R McCammon

I really enjoyed Blue World but was not thrilled with Swan Song or A Boy's Life and never read anything else. Does he deserve another chance?

Re: Robert R McCammon

Quote Originally Posted by Damaris View Post
    I really enjoyed Blue World but was not thrilled with Swan Song or A Boy's Life and never read anything else. Does he deserve another chance?

OMG. A resounding YES! Check out MINE and The Wolf's Hour. I'm surprised you didn't like Swan Song though. What about it didn't you care for?
    Usher's Passing is another great one. I'm a fan of his new Matthew Corbett series,as well., can't wait for Mister Slaughter! McCammon is right up there with King imo, but sai King is my 1st love, so...he gets top billing on my bookcase. Behind glass even.

Don't give up on McCammon!

OMG!!! Blue World!!!! I forgot all about that book. Read it ages ago, and loved it!!! That is so worthy of a place on my bookshelf!! Thanks John!!! I'm getting now! Does he have a hard cover version of it out?? Someone visitor message me if he does, please! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mylife4usk View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't like Swan Song though. What about it didn't you care for?
    To be honest, I don't remember. I read it years ago while in college and just found it ... ordinary, I suppose. Just kind of ho-hum, nothing to write home about. And today nothing of the story has stuck with me beyond the girl's name (Sue Wanda, because I thought it was an awful name). Maybe I didn't read it at the right time or had too high of expectations but it did not impress itself on me at all. A Boy's Life I found a bit better but all too reminiscent of Mr. King's work ... I found the similarities blatant and near disgusting. It left a sour taste in my mouth I was never able to shake.

To be honest, I don't remember. I read it years ago while in college and just found it ... ordinary, I suppose. Just kind of ho-hum, nothing to write home about. And today nothing of the story has stuck with me beyond the girl's name (Sue Wanda, because I thought it was an awful name). Maybe I didn't read it at the right time or had too high of expectations but it did not impress itself on me at all. A Boy's Life I found a bit better but all too reminiscent of Mr. King's work ... I found the similarities blatant and near disgusting. It left a sour taste in my mouth I was never able to shake.
    Although McCammon and King both write that's where the similarities end IMO, other than the fact that they are both gifted.

Some people say that McCammon is a spin-off of King, I beg to differ. To say that is to say, all writers after Stephen King are spin-offs.
    That's just not cricket.

So far as creative integrity goes, there is nothing you can say that hasn't been said before, try it LOL, see.

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    OMG!!! Blue World!!!! I forgot all about that book. Read it ages ago, and loved it!!! That is so worthy of a place on my bookshelf!! Thanks John!!! I'm getting now! Does he have a hard cover version of it out??
    There was a hardcover release of Blue World by Grafton in the UK back in 1989. There weren't a lot printed then (a couple of thousand), and the book is usually fairly pricey now.

Here's an Advanced Book Exchange link to search for them. They start at $40+: ABE search for Blue World

Hunter

Maybe re-reads would clarify for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted
    Maybe re-reads would clarify for you?
    They well might. I could easily have been overly judgemental, cynical, jaded, etc. It was college, and I am prone to a "love em or hate em" mentality when it comes to authors. Thus far, once my gavel has fallen against an author, he or she has been cordoned off for good. But maybe it's time for an appeal.

I have all his books...love Mine and Stinger and Swan Song is the perfect companion read with The Stand. Good to hear he has a new one coming out.

Yes I enjoy this man's writing. I believe he wrote Gone South. Correct me if I am wrong. My mind is not what is used to be

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast