This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone see this?

Default Re: Anyone see this?

I think "the magic" was lost, since they changed too many things, and that special 70's feel was not present, obviously.
    The original was actually pretty scary, while the remake tries to be too witty. The Marsten house, however was much more impressive on the new version.

My overall opinion of 2004 Salem's Lot, just in a nutshell, is identical to the original.....Some things were done pretty well but there were also a lot of flaws.

Various observations.

1. I am glad this version introduced a few more minor characters from the book like Dud Rogers and Ruth Crockett.

2. Larry Crockett comes across as more of a slime ball in the remake than he does in the original, which I see as a plus.

3. On that note, I was a little disturbed by the implied Crockett incest. Also didn't like the new storyline where Dr. Cody has an affair and is blackmailed.

4. It is pretty hard to have sympathy for Mark Petrie in this version. This version of Mark is very unlikable compared to the book and the original miniseries.

5. Mike Ryerson was very well done here, which was also the case in the original.

6. Didn't like what they did with Father Callahan here. Sure made for a confusing opening, to boot.

I saw it, thought Rob Lowe was good, but I just didn't find it very....creepy?

My Dad says it's way less cheezy than the original. He hated the original because it didnt really do the story justice. I've seen neither, but I'd trust him. He's a pretty hardcore fan.

Quote Originally Posted by It'sNineInTheAfternoon View Post
    My Dad says it's way less cheezy than the original. He hated the original because it didnt really do the story justice. I've seen neither, but I'd trust him. He's a pretty hardcore fan.
    I'd say the vampire deaths are a lot cheesier in the remake. But otherwise I'd agree your pop is right.

The Acting was much better, the first one didn't do anything to me, parts of the remake actually made my heart skip a beat.

Not bad. I prefer the Tobe Hooper version, which has a great, slow-paced creepy mood to it that almost makes up for the many flaws. I still try and watch that one around Halloween every second or third year.

I saw it on tv and then I went and bought it. Though it followed book quite well it missed something that's my opinion. Yes it tried to be scary but didn't quite make it. Rob Lowe was okay but in my mind he was too happy if that's the word we can use.
    Still I will recommend it.

I thought it was pretty good, even with Sodapop Curtis.

Talk about your unnecessary remakes...look, Barlow (although a Nosferatu rip) in the original MFTVM was truly horrifying. I've always liked Hauer, but they really should/could have done something to make him look scarier. Seeing a blandly humanoid version of The Master instead of something that ought to scare the Bejezus out of me was a letdown. On a side note, I'm of the opinion that Sutherland's just as good if not a better actor than James Mason, but Mason's performance was far creepier and more memorable- sometimes the better actor isn't always the right choice (Michael Caine as "Hoagie" in 'Jaws the Revenge', anyone?).

Live, love, laugh & be happy,
    Smikes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast