Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone see this? - Page 6

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone see this?

Default Re: Anyone see this?

I own a copy of both versions.....the remake was a gift.
    I like the way Rob Lowe plays the character of Ben Mears, but not much else.
    Still prefer the original.

Rewatched it. Only have this one, not the original. A mixed bag, although in the end the story always does it for me. I think the second part is the best.
    The problem is that all the scenes that have such an impact in the original completely fall flat in this one. There is no tension or build up to these scenes at all, they've come and gone before you know it.

On the positive side, this one gives me a better sense of the whole town and what's happening to everyone in it. I don't recall that about the first one so much. The title refers to the whole town in the end. It also looks great compared to most of the other mini series - good production values. If only they'd managed to make it scarier, it could have been really good, but in the end it feels kind of 'sterile' or 'detached' if that's a better word - not really bad, but not great either; but that's a problem with a lot of tv or direct-to-video things, they lack a certain depth and often feel too formulaic.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I purchased Salem's Lot recently in a three pack with It and The Shining (mini-series). I had never seen this remake and I was surprised how much I liked it. My expectations were low so that probably helped. I thought Rob Lowe was good. There were some things I liked in the original better and some things I liked in this one better. Tobe Hooper's version is more suspenseful but the 2004 version follows the story closer (I think; it's been years since I read it) and brings in a couple character missing from the 1979 version. The 1979 version suffers from some made for TV problems like outside scenes being shot on a stage and looking fake. The sets and the Marsten House look good in the 2004 version. A big plus for the 1979 version is James Mason. He was great as Straker.

Considering these were made for TV, I think they are both pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I purchased Salem's Lot recently in a three pack with It and The Shining (mini-series). I had never seen this remake and I was surprised how much I liked it. My expectations were low so that probably helped. I thought Rob Lowe was good. There were some things I liked in the original better and some things I liked in this one better. Tobe Hooper's version is more suspenseful but the 2004 version follows the story closer (I think; it's been years since I read it) and brings in a couple character missing from the 1979 version. The 1979 version suffers from some made for TV problems like outside scenes being shot on a stage and looking fake. The sets and the Marsten House look good in the 2004 version. A big plus for the 1979 version is James Mason. He was great as Straker.

Considering these were made for TV, I think they are both pretty good.
    I didn't like Rob Lowe in it. At all. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

Rob Lowe is a problem in this, I agree. It's like they picked him on the back of his role in The Stand, rather than because he was the best choice for Ben Mears. It's just hard to imagine him as a writer.

It's unfortunate, because this series does something surprisingly few Kingfilms do: voice-over of the thoughts of a character. It's just that his delivery is too distant, but it can be a helpful tool in adapting King.
    For a writer who uses interior dialogue so often very few films use it (I forgot whether it was used in The Green Mile). Only this and Twilight Zone's Gramma episode come to mind; although if anyone remembers another example, please mention it.

King himself doesn't like it though (he's said that when he hears it used in a film, he feels the writer is in the wrong medium). That strikes me as a bit odd, because I feel it can help bridge the gap between a novel and a film - and many good films have used it.
    In a book you can constantly switch between what's happening in characters' minds and what they're saying and doing. Voice-over is the best tool to get the same effect in a film - the only tool I can think of really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Rob Lowe is a problem in this, I agree. It's like they picked him on the back of his role in The Stand, rather than because he was the best choice for Ben Mears. It's just hard to imagine him as a writer.

It's unfortunate, because this series does something surprisingly few Kingfilms do: voice-over of the thoughts of a character. It's just that his delivery is too distant, but it can be a helpful tool in adapting King.
    For a writer who uses interior dialogue so often very few films use it (I forgot whether it was used in The Green Mile). Only this and Twilight Zone's Gramma episode come to mind; although if anyone remembers another example, please mention it.

King himself doesn't like it though (he's said that when he hears it used in a film, he feels the writer is in the wrong medium). That strikes me as a bit odd, because I feel it can help bridge the gap between a novel and a film - and many good films have used it.
    In a book you can constantly switch between what's happening in characters' minds and what they're saying and doing. Voice-over is the best tool to get the same effect in a film - the only tool I can think of really.
    It's too bad I hate Rob Lowe's voice (it bores me to tears).

Watched the movie this weekend. Unfortunately, I cannot say I liked it. I liked Rob Lowe's performance, but all the rest was just not good for me. I loved the book much better. I think I should also try and watch the original movie, maybe I will like it better, I think I will give it a try one day.

Samantha Mathis, who played Susan Norton in this version (one of the best things about it), will be in Under the Dome.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456