This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Film of duma key

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Film of duma key

I think Brian Cox would be great as Wireman.

As far as movies from novels go, I think they mostly suck too (ever notice the movies from the books you haven't read are better?). My thinking is a little different than most people though. I think the filmaker gets in trouble when he tries to stay too faithful to the book. You just can't take a huge book and make a 2 hour movie out of it. Film is a completely different art form than a novel so the filmmaker should make the best movie he can from parts of the story he can use. Even though Stephen King will disagree with me, I think Stanley Kubrick's movie is a great movie and a visual masterpiece. It is not the novel but it's a great film and nothing about the novel has changed, you can still read it anytime you want. Kubrick just used the novel as a framework and then condensed and changed the novel to make the best movie he could. The Shining is a great novel and a great movie. Movies don't have to be exact replicas of the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by johndalglish View Post
    hi,

frank darabont, frank darabont, frank darabont!

And that's all i have to say on the matter lol

long days and pleasant nights
    yes! Yes! Yes!

I loved the secret window (although the book is a bit different story) but it seemed to me that It or the fog (hope the english titles were these, I read them in spanish) were very poor. Although i haven't watch Misery but many people told me its a very good movie. I'm now reading Duma Key and i find it hard to imagine a movie with so much contents. If its going to be a bad adaptation please... leave the story alone!

The only person I could think of to play Wireman was Sam Elliott. I would LOVE to see this book made into a movie! If done the right way, the visuals could be phenomenal. The story already is!

I interviewed the guy who wrote Flash Forward this weekend. He told me two things about adaptations: 1. it's a bloody miracle that ANYTHING gets made, let alone well. (He's got 20 novels out, and one TV project completed); 2. Even bad adaptations bring the original work to new audiences. The daughter of Isaac Asimov LOVED the Will Smith "I Robot" -- not because it was awful, but because it was seen by bazillions of people, and if a bazillion people saw it, a percentage of them go back to the source.

To the comment about the Encyclopedia guy, that was Penn Gillette, of Penn and Teller fame, and he might be an okay Wireman.

I thought the style of the novel lent itself well to animation. I would love to see it done as an animated film (I can just imagine how surreal the scenes of Edgar painting could be).

On that note, have any of Sai King's novels or stories been adapted in animation? Some of his stories are hard to portray on film, but could be amazing if animated (and handled with care).

Ever since listening to the audio book I always see John Slatery in my head when I think of Edgar. I think he did a great job with the audio book.

Hi. New here. I listened to the audiobook for Duma Key. I enjoyed it very much.
    Here is my cast list.

Edgar: Kevin Costner (sans narration)
    Elizabeth: Angie Dickinson or Jane Fonda (actually if any of the Hepburns were alive...)
    Pam:Robin Wright
    Ilsa: Imogen Poots
    Wireman: Jeff Bridges (think "The Dude") listen to the audio book.... or Bruce Campbell
    Jack: Anton Yelchin
    Caymen: Billy Dee Williams

As far as the movie goes, I think they could do a good job. If anyone remembers the move "What Dreams May Come"? This movie's tone would remind me of a cross between that and "Lovely Bones". If Frank Darabount directed, I think we could have a winner....

Quote Originally Posted by moonhoney2 View Post
    I hope not. I really really hate when they make movies out of books. In most cases, the movie is not even close to being as good (in a lot of cases they are downright BAD) and I think would turn people off to the written story. KWIM?

But then I'm a reader. I know a lot of people who haven't picked a book up since high school and wouldn't have any clue about the story were it not for the movie. My husband being one of those. I just don't understand that.
    my husband also is not a reader, while i spend most of my time reading for fun. he actually picked up and read front to back Christine after seeing the movie and coming across the book at the local flea market, i was astonished and a little horrified when i couldn't get him to go to sleep because HIS face was jammed into that book...it is usually the other way around, kind of unsettling lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast