This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Film of duma key

nick.gregory Guest

Default Re: Film of duma key

I've read some a couple of suggestions that Jeff Bridges should play Wireman. Guess I saw it differently. I have Jeff Bridges as Edgar and had him since page one. I think of Jeff from "K-Pax" and "The Fisher King", and then at the beginning when he's frequently in hospital beds, I imagine long haired Bridges from "..Lebowski" and et cetera. Flows in my head easily. Someone's suggestion that Dustin Hoffman play Edgar appealed to me as well. Wireman I cast as Christopher Lee-- although I made him a bit younger than he currently is-- something between "The Wicker Man" and "The Lord of the Rings". And then Pam I cast as Natalie Portman, although reluctantly. But that's been working out for me okay. Miss Eastlake I'll probably surprise you on, as I casted the little old Taylor Mead. Old people are somewhat androgynous, was my thought, and who can do alzheimers better than Taylor Mead?
    As far as directors, sure, Darabont. But I'd be okay with any number of choices. I think a talented director more used to another genre might do better making horror less conventional, more internalized, and so on. Sam Mandez maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew of Jack View Post
    Ever since listening to the audio book I always see John Slatery in my head when I think of Edgar. I think he did a great job with the audio book.
    I SO agree. He was wonderful audio actor and made the story. I could really see him as edgar. I could see Bruce Campbell as Wireman. Darabont has to direct!

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

The VAST majority of King's works do not work onscreen. The few that have, however, prove to be spectacular, and I won't insult you by naming the obvious.

Most of his novels: They linger and lounge and persist in our hearts and heads. They should stay on paper and in our individual imaginations.

Duma Key cannot work well on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan James View Post
    The VAST majority of King's works do not work onscreen. The few that have, however, prove to be spectacular, and I won't insult you by naming the obvious.

Most of his novels: They linger and lounge and persist in our hearts and heads. They should stay on paper and in our individual imaginations.

I am so happy to ear someone else say this. The vast majority of SKbooks work so well because they appeal to our minds and his ability to make us put ourselves IN the story. That does not always translate well to the big screen. But like you said, the ones that do work, work spectacularly.

I disagree. I believe this would make an excellent movie. Brian Cranston(Breaking Bad, Malcolm in the Middle) as Edgar or Michael C Hall (Dexter) as Edgar.
    Wireman should be either Stephen Seagal (Under Siege) or Michael Madson (Resevoir Dogs).

I love when SK works in the roaring 20s into the story plot (ala The Shining).. that time period has a way of being eerie and haunting. The tinny sound of the music mixed with innocence and intrigue.. perfect mix!

I love the books first and foremost, but I like the movies too...in most cases. Especially when they are based on Sai King's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan James View Post

(Why am I thinking "vast"...) I disagree that Duma Key would not work well onscreen and with the idea that sK movies which haven't worked have necessarily failed due to the original stories. I especially think Duma Key would work very well, but quailty artists need to be involved and Hollywood needs to care enough to try to make a superior movie. The sK movies which have failed have failed, imho, due to neglect by producers due to their bias against horror as a serious genre. One of sK's great accomplishements has been to prove Hollywood wrong about himself, his fans, and his art by writing superior stories which he makes as easy to translate to the screen as they tend to be. He has stated the reason for this is that his writing style is visual.

The vast majority of ALL films don't work--(Sturgeon's law: "90% of everything is crap" definitely applies to the movie industry) But I think any movie with the "Stephen King" name on it has a better chance of getting made at all, regardless of whether the screenplay/acting/director is actually any good. Add in the huge expectations we fans have, and the odds are kinda stacked against SK movies from the start.

Look at all those Elvis movies in the 60's...they were going to get made simply because Elvis was in them. Most of them were bad or average. Same goes for Stephen King movies, although personally I think they're batting better than .100.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    The vast majority of ALL films don't work--(Sturgeon's law: "90% of everything is crap" definitely applies to the movie industry) But I think any movie with the "Stephen King" name on it has a better chance of getting made at all, regardless of whether the screenplay/acting/director is actually any good. Add in the huge expectations we fans have, and the odds are kinda stacked against SK movies from the start.

Look at all those Elvis movies in the 60's...they were going to get made simply because Elvis was in them. Most of them were bad or average. Same goes for Stephen King movies, although personally I think they're batting better than .100.
    You're right that most movies have issues, some have many fatal ones, and since a producer's job is about money it's understandable that any Elvis movies got made. I don't seem to see a connection between Elvis and sK in Hollywood terms.

As for the quality of players, such as screenwriters, actors, directors, they look at a project as producers do. If they figure it's not a good bet quality artists turn it down. Producers, especially those lacking vision, imagination, and the risk gene, know this and reasonably insist on a product which is a decent bet. I think Stephen King has managed to reassure Hollywood ignoramuses that he's a damn good product due to the existence of Shawshank, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, and others, and I think this is a very good thing for every movie fan and potential future Constant Reader, as well as current CRs.

This is one of my favorites! When I read it, I picture Jessica Tandy as Miss Eastlake. I guess that won't work, though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast