This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connections to other books?

Default Re: Connections to other books?

I also got Dick Halloran, quoted in It in the Black Spot part, but can't think of anything else.
    It's been a while I haven't re-read The Shining though, and it was one of my firsts so maybe I should find more now but I don't see any connections with Salem though...

Until I read that other thread, I was really hoping that 217 was a reference to 19. Technically it still is though :P 17+2=19.. and there is also the scene where Wendy counts the risers on the staircase, there being 19. Though I'm sure you all knew this already

There was also when the Overlook gets destroyed.. and Hallorann sees what looks like an obscene black manta coming from the window of Presidental Suite, this reminded me of the elementals in DT.. But again, I'm sure you all knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Queen View Post
    I don't know, probably not, but I always wondered, whose bike was it that Al ran over & why was it in the middle of the road, deserted?
    Well, as I didn't read The Long Walk, I couldn't comment on that part of it.. But after reading The Dark Tower I like to think Ka placed the bike in the road that night. Jack Torrance was always meant to end up at the Overlook.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Smakface13 View Post
    Well, as I didn't read The Long Walk, I couldn't comment on that part of it.. But after reading The Dark Tower I like to think Ka placed the bike in the road that night. Jack Torrance was always meant to end up at the Overlook.. :P
    Here's what I thought connected to Dark Tower (in addition to any already mentioned): I thought the Red King is who was actually the evil force behind the Overlook Hotel. He wanted Danny's psychic powers for the beam breakers. Just like he (the Red King) wanted the telekinesis powers the little twin girls had. Just like in the Wolves of the Calla.

Anyone think the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Smakface13 View Post

Good one Smak. I like that about the Ka putting the bike in his path. All things serve the tower...

Interesting theory.

Quote Originally Posted by sam peebles View Post
    I dunno about Salems Lot, but the cook, Dick Halloran, makes a brief appearance in It during the burning down of the Black Spot (was that the name of the club? Not sure...)
    Also, you can definitely spot the sense of an It-type sinister creature present in the Overlook in The Shining. I think The Shining was part of the development that led to King's being able to put together the masterpiece, It. I read It this past summer, and read the Shining just recently, and several times when the narration in the Shining referred to the evil presence as an "it," I almost had a flashback.

They are from Stovington VT. This place plays heaving in The Stand.

I am just reading The Shining for the first time. Have read many of Mr. King's books but somehow missed this one despite having seen the movie, of course, and the TV movie.

If I had read it earlier, of course, it wouldn't have been noteworthy but the first newspaper clipping (I think it was the first) that Jack finds in the basement is a few weeks after the Kennedy assassination and the headline is about Lyndon Johnson pledging to carry on Kennedy's work or some such.

I also noted that it was odd that it was a December 1963 newspaper when the Overlook has presumably always been closed that time of year due to weather, and it's doubtful any paperboy would be able to deliver through the weather regardless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast