Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The movie...good or bad? - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie...good or bad?

Default Re: The movie...good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Palmer View Post
    The first thought that comes to my mind when the film is mentioned is: THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE ORIGINAL ENDING!!!

Other than that, I enjoy the film. It's a decent timekiller.
    I totally agree...
    I also saw "The Fog" a few days ago and was wondering about the brutal ending which differs from the book. So I donīt understand why they changed it in Cujo (and other movies).
    The book was really scary because it deals with something that could happen in real life...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    I totally agree...
    I also saw "The Fog" a few days ago and was wondering about the brutal ending which differs from the book. So I donīt understand why they changed it in Cujo (and other movies).
    The book was really scary because it deals with something that could happen in real life...

I feel the same way...but I think they did not keep the original ending because a mass audience may not have liked it!

Danny Pintaro was talented as a child, but my god was he annoying. After a few minutes of listening to him, I start to root for Cujo, which kinda ruins the point of the movie. Anyway I think it's one of the better movies with Kings name attached, but I've never read the book either, so I don't know what was left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer From Ys View Post
    Danny Pintaro was talented as a child, but my god was he annoying. After a few minutes of listening to him, I start to root for Cujo, which kinda ruins the point of the movie. Anyway I think it's one of the better movies with Kings name attached, but I've never read the book either, so I don't know what was left out.
    You really have to read the book...canīt help myself but itīs one of those books that really make you laugh (Iīm not joking - there are many passages in Stephen Kingīs books that are quite funny because he has a special sense of humor, thatīs why I love him).

I think the film was a pretty good stab at it, actually. Certain scenes where Cujo is lumbering out of the mist were hair-raising. The book is obviously better and I think that the brave move of keeping the book's ending would have elevated the movie to "classic" status as it was so brave. Having said that, movie audiences would not have approved at the time and the movie may well have tanked.

I'm gonna have to disagree with a lot of ya when I say that Cujo IMO is a superb King adaption. Yeah, the ending was changed but I read that even Stephen King liked the ending better and after watching the movie said if he could rewrite the novel he would keep the ending the same as the movie version. Dee Wallace is superb, especially the scenes with Tad. I thought the director kept true to the book in many ways. Let's face it, there have been much worse adaptions over the years! For me, this goes deffo into my top 5.

The movie was very good until the ending. I'm aware that people would have been very upset if they had let Tad die, but wasn't that the whole point in that?? Cujo was meant to be a dark and somewhat depressing story, and the ending just totally ruined it. It wasn't just that they let him live, it was the way it just ...ended so duddenly. What about Brett Camber getting his new puppy at the end? What about the after results of the incident. To me it basically says : "Okay, the family lives happily ever after, so screw the Cambers, no one cares about them or their demonic dog." Despite my negativity towards the ending though, I loved the beginning of the film with Cujo chasing the rabbit through the field while the happy music plays. I think this scene would have had even more significance, had they kept the book's darker theme, theerfore people could notice the change in the story's mood more. So I'd have to rate it as "Okay." It had some good creepy scenes like Brett's encounter with Cujo in the fog, and Gary Pervier's death, but it seemd to skip out on some more important elements such as the town's dark history.

Yes, Tad's death was essentially the soul of the novel. Taking it out ruins it it as far as the Naturalistic masterpiece that it i The pointless nature of human condition was the whole point in the book.

I didn't want Tad to die, but it doesn't matter to me that he lived in the movie. So what? The movie isn't canon, not in the SK universe at least, so they light as well gone ahead and kept it as true the book's pessimistic vision as possible.

All in all, I think I can say that I enjoyed the movie - but as the book came first for me I found myself scrutinising every detail they left out, the things they skimmed over and of course the things they changed! I think failing to go into depths about some aspects was a big let down, but then we have to remember that they can't put everything into a movie. When I remember that much, I am fine with it.

There are still some little things I think they might have done better, or differently, to keep more along the original line but I liked it well enough. Not my favourite King movie, by any stretch, but I watch it now and then.

- ND

I watched the movie very recently, and I was not a fan. It was good until the end. I HATED how it just...ended. I mean, the audience doesn't even know if the parents stayed together or if the little boy was alright. I don't know. I hear the book was pretty good, but the movie was terrible. In my opinion.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast