Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Timeless Carrie issues - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Timeless Carrie issues

Default Re: Timeless Carrie issues

I agree that "Carrie" is a great book even if short on character development. I like that, if you remove the telekinesis (which really doesn't become a major factor in the story until late in the book), "Carrie" really is just a novel about bullying, high school social dynamics with the Outcast, religious fundamentalism and guilt.

I have read on the interwebs that "Carrie" was rejected by 30 different publishers. Does anyone have a source for this fact? Thanks!

Not true. It was submitted to and accepted by Doubleday.

Carrie has held up for me over the years. Probably because of the theme of outsiderism, bullying, etc. Also how creepy is her mother?

I just watched the newer 2002 adapation of the film.
    I was really impressed

I read a wonderful little story from King... I can't remember where... probably On Writing.
    Anyway, mister Steve wasn't in a happy place in his life when he wrote Carrie.
    In frustration, he balled the whole thing up and tossed it in the trash.
    His wife found it while cleaning the next day, smoothed it out, read it, and waited.
    When he got home, she showed him what she had done and told him it was very good and he should send it in.
    And a star was born.
    Thank you Mrs. King for knowing better!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JessHK View Post
    I have read on the interwebs that "Carrie" was rejected by 30 different publishers. Does anyone have a source for this fact? Thanks!
    King goes into the publication process for Carrie, partially anyway, in On Writing. As an aspiring (perspiring) author, I've enjoyed that part of the book many times.

As a long time King fan, I had never read this one for some reason. Maybe because of the film. It's kind of a sad and painful story where no one is truly the good guy. I also noticed a reference to the JFK assassination. Interesting how that comes up time and again. If you wanted to stretch matters a bit you could say the basic storyline of the prom is taken from JFK assassination. Carrie's date to the prom was JFK (killed in pubic at a moment of glory), she is Jackie (splattered in blood), and the hidden culprit who pulls the cord on them is Oswald. The book has held up well in my opinion. The weakness or maybe strength is that you are pulling for Carrie hoping things come out alright but then she becomes a mass killer. Was she evil all along or is it purely the result of her treatment by others?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    As a long time King fan, I had never read this one for some reason. Maybe because of the film. It's kind of a sad and painful story where no one is truly the good guy. I also noticed a reference to the JFK assassination. Interesting how that comes up time and again. If you wanted to stretch matters a bit you could say the basic storyline of the prom is taken from JFK assassination. Carrie's date to the prom was JFK (killed in pubic at a moment of glory), she is Jackie (splattered in blood), and the hidden culprit who pulls the cord on them is Oswald. The book has held up well in my opinion. The weakness or maybe strength is that you are pulling for Carrie hoping things come out alright but then she becomes a mass killer. Was she evil all along or is it purely the result of her treatment by others?
    Wow, you might be on to something there! Jackie's outfit was pink and Carrie's gown was pink (in the movie). Hmmm, maybe something to ask the director and/or costume designer?? Very interesting hypothesis!!

The first time that I picked up a copy of "carrie", & read it, it seemed almost as if it had been written about me. I didn`t have relgious parents, but they were domineering,& I was so shy that I couldn`t stick up for myself at all, & other kids gave me a hard time. When I was a teenager it got worse as I ate for comfort & put on weight, also had loads of spots just like her. Thankfully I had a happier outcome than she did, but I`d have loved to have had her powers, then I could have shown those losers a thing or two.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast