This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Movie speculation

Default The Dark Tower will not be made

News today that negotiations with the NBC execs canned the production of the Ron Howard project. Reason: too expensive.
    My humble suggestion is to bring the project to Showtime. They have the balls to put a project like this together and it can be an R rating.
    Stupid NBC!
    GRUMBLE......

Default Re: Dark Tower Movie speculation

I've read a few comments today in which people have stated they are happy that The Dark Tower project has been "potentially" dumped by Universal because they feel Ron Howard is wrong for the project. Mr. Howard is a damn (yes I used the damn word, sorry ) fine director in my opinion who has simply chosen the wrong material for some of his films. But as we all know, that is clearly not the issue here. The Dark Tower story is rock solid and very ambitious for a movie or multiple movie/tv series project. So it doesn't just need a solid director, it needs someone with the passion to see it made right. Looking at the fact that Mr. Howard spent a year on his pitch before he approached Mr. King, shows how respectful he is to the man and the material - only suggests to me that perhaps he is the "only" man for the job.

Now lets just hope Warner have the hunger and the money for a new franchise...

Quote Originally Posted by seanryan View Post
    I've read a few comments today in which people have stated they are happy that The Dark Tower project has been "potentially" dumped by Universal because they feel Ron Howard is wrong for the project. Mr. Howard is a damn (yes I used the damn word, sorry ) fine director in my opinion who has simply chosen the wrong material for some of his films. But as we all know, that is clearly not the issue here. The Dark Tower story is rock solid and very ambitious for a movie or multiple movie/tv series project. So it doesn't just need a solid director, it needs someone with the passion to see it made right. Looking at the fact that Mr. Howard spent a year on his pitch before he approached Mr. King, shows how respectful he is to the man and the material - only suggests to me that perhaps he is the "only" man for the job.

Now lets just hope Warner have the hunger and the money for a new franchise...
    Harry Potter franchise ends this year so you never know.

The man has spoken -- or at least emailed. Apparently Mr. K sent an e-mail to his pals at Entertainment Weekly, in which he told them:

“I’m sorry Universal passed, but not really surprised. As a rule, they’ve been about smaller and less risky pix; maybe they feel it would be better to stick with those fast and furious racing boys. I bear them no ill will, and trust Ron Howard to get Roland and his friends before the camera somewhere else. He’s very committed to the project.”

I would like to be privy to the behind the scenes wrangling on issues of script (which I'm sure the studios quibble about) are pushing. My feeling is that the script of the Drawing of the Three is probably the real issue.

Couldn't Peter Jackson do for The Dark Tower what he did for Lord of the Rings? (And I must insist that Christian Bale play
    Roland Deschain.)

Quote Originally Posted by prufrock21 View Post
    Couldn't Peter Jackson do for The Dark Tower what he did for Lord of the Rings? (And I must insist that Christian Bale play
    Roland Deschain.)
    Hi,

As far as I remember, Peter Jackson was asked this specific question in an interview in the UK some years ago and he said that he wouldn't be interested in devoting the rest of life to such a project at his age (look how long The Hobbit has dragged on!).

A great pity, isn't it?

He'd be PERFECT for the job IMO

Long days and pleasant nights

Awesome selection...

I can see, JD, where Mr. Jackson would be wary of taking on another project as difficult and demanding as Lord of the Rings.
    However, he has proven he is up to the task. It would be a masterpiece, the Dark Tower on the big screen--his crowning achievement. There would be another Oscar in it for him. He could retire after this. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by prufrock21 View Post
    I can see, JD, where Mr. Jackson would be wary of taking on another project as difficult and demanding as Lord of the Rings.
    However, he has proven he is up to the task. It would be a masterpiece, the Dark Tower on the big screen--his crowning achievement. There would be another Oscar in it for him. He could retire after this. The possibilities are endless.
    Hi,

Aye, indeed.

But it would depend on your age and energy and appetite for a long project, would it not?

Wikipedia reference-linkPeter Jackson

But I certainly agree that he would be by far the best possible choice in a perfect world.

Long days and pleasant nights

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast