This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Good?

Default Re: Any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Carb-Orator View Post
    I Now I'm just waiting for the movie...
    Hi,

From your lips .....

Good to know that Sais King and Straub plan to finish the trilogy in about two years, isn't it?

Long days and pleasant nights

I started to read this book few years ago but never finished it because for me it was to boring. But after I read Talisman I will try to read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl87 View Post
    I started to read this book few years ago but never finished it because for me it was to boring. But after I read Talisman I will try to read it again.
    Hi,

Yes, it's a slow start, all right, but stick with it and it'll soon pick up IMO

Long days and pleasant nights

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

1 >>>>> 2

3?

I found that reading Talisman just enriched the Black House "experience" for me-but there is enough in "House" to keep you "on target" without a Talisman appetizer. Enjoy, coz any book by Uncle Steve is better than 80% of anything else!

I have tried really hard to get into this one but just can't do it. Is it pretty slow in the beginning or is it just me? Also I was confused because I can't exactly tell who the main characters are in the first few chapters. It seems to skip from first person to third person and then at times its like there is a narrator that is telling the reader what is going on. So confused!

Jelly - Black House can be a little confusing, and slow in the beginning. But if you persevere, I think it's more than worth it. And plus there's the third installment to think about. One wouldn't want to start the third without reading the second, now would they?

Finland, currently in my hometown for the summer.

I disagree about this one being slow and boring in the beginning! It is one of my all-time favourites of King's books, though it's a co-work with Straub. I've read it three times so far and I absolutely love to read it each time! It has actually become sort of a tradition to read it during summers.. It's a very intense and vibrant book if I may say so! And no, I haven't read The Talisman yet, not even a single page, so you don't have to read it to be able to read Black House.

Quote Originally Posted by Martsa View Post
    I haven't read The Talisman yet, not even a single page, so you don't have to read it to be able to read Black House.
    I would say you don't have to read TT first, but like I've seen someone else post....."when you read TT you'll wish you had".

They both stand alone, it's just you get a more complete picture of Jack if you do, and the story is just good.

IMO, Black House is a sub-chapter of the DT.

Any SK book is worth reading, slow start or not. It ALWAYS gets going, and you soon find yourself so lost in the story and involved with the characters that you still think about them after you've put the book down!! Black House is one of my favourites and I highly recommend it and The Talisman. They certainly compliment each other, and DT, too!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast