This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any Good?

Default Re: Any Good?

You'll want to read the Talisman first. That one is a great one also. I'm currently reading the Black House and I like how it's told. The story brings the reader into it. It is a good book.

Thoroughly enjoyed both of these books! I would also recommend reading The Talisman first but it is not absolutely necessary. Wolf remains one of my favorite all time characters from the mind of SK.
    "God pounds His nails. Oh yes He does!"

I have read over thirty SK books so far (I am trying-- and failing-- to keep up with his prolific writing pace!) but no book has gotten to me the way Black House did. A lot of it has to do with the Charles Burnside character; I found him utterly repulsive and genuinely terrifying. It's worth reading the book just to see the masterful way this evil guy's persona is developed as the story unfolds. There are several other characters that linger in the mind long after the book ends-- Jack Sawyer, of course, that cool cat Henry Leyden, and several others as well. Even if you have never read The Talisman or The Dark Tower books, Black House stands well on its own as a good scary story.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    I have read over thirty SK books so far (I am trying-- and failing-- to keep up with his prolific writing pace!) but no book has gotten to me the way Black House did. A lot of it has to do with the Charles Burnside character; I found him utterly repulsive and genuinely terrifying. It's worth reading the book just to see the masterful way this evil guy's persona is developed as the story unfolds. There are several other characters that linger in the mind long after the book ends-- Jack Sawyer, of course, that cool cat Henry Leyden, and several others as well. Even if you have never read The Talisman or The Dark Tower books, Black House stands well on its own as a good scary story.
    Agreed! I love King's baddies, and Burny is one twisted old bugger.
    I also adore Henry Leyden, as I'm sure most people who've read this book do.

*Welcome to the board.*

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Agreed! I love King's baddies, and Burny is one twisted old bugger.
    I also adore Henry Leyden, as I'm sure most people who've read this book do.

*Welcome to the board.*
    Thanks, Ally! Every time I have finished one of Mr. King's books over the past couple of years, I've popped into the forum and read all the threads related to it. I finally decided to get in on the fun with an occasional question or comment of my own. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    Some may say you need to read the Talisman first, but I did not find this to be so. I read Black house so long after Talisman that it wouldn't have made any difference. So I went and re read Takisman after Black House and it STILL didn't make any difference. But the Black House was really good and dark, and full of good characters.ENJOY !
    I agree you can read them in either order its just as good but i wouldnt recommend reading just one of them its much better if you read both. A warning Black House starts slow

I just finished Talisman and Black House recently and really enjoyed them. There is some great characters (Jack, WOLF!) and also the Bikers and even the creepy Charles Burnside...Its really a great read...and although Id rather read them in order the Talisman first, then Black House, you dont really need to, but if you do read them in order, you'll get a better sense of the characters.

Not bad. Pretty good in spots.

Henry Leyden is quite possibly my all-time favorite SK/PS character.
    I *loved* Black House.
    Case closed, game over; zip up your fly.

Very good book. Read this one entirely at work over the course of a few months during slow periods.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast