Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
what is god to you/what do you revere? - Page 14

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

Default Re: what is god to you?

To me, God isn't a "what" He's a who. And the God I believe in is the God of the Bible.

i thought horton was a who ?
    how can that be ? the two ?!?

...and all the other people, vickilynn...which god do you suppose they believe in ?
    god of the kumquats ?!?

and in all this great big vast world...do you really believe god might not be the creator of all...or just those who read the same book as you....

since your good book tells you not to judge others (lest ye be judged)...if they choose a different path but reach the same goal...are they doomed...

and just what happens to even good people when, at the end of the day, they find that the seeming path of good intentions is found to be, instead (as warned) a road to hell...

what is god to me ? not that small....

.and all the other people, vickilynn...which god do you suppose they believe in ?
    god of the kumquats ?!?
    I've been told that I don't worship the God of the Bible because Mormons reject the Trinity. I always wonder what God it is they think we worship every Sunday.

As for who I think God is...I believe Him also to be a personal being. He is a physical personage with a body of flesh and bone, (and after His image are we made). He is the governor of all creation, the author of our salvation and the means by which all of creation rolled into existence. Most important of all, He is literally the Father of our Spirits, so the term "Heavenly Father is a rather good description of Him. We lived with Him before we were born in the flesh, and our hope is to live again with Him in the eternities if we pattern our lives after the manner in which He has established through His Son.

nice, LG...i like that...peace, brutha !

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    i thought horton was a who ?
    how can that be ? the two ?!?

...and all the other people, vickilynn...which god do you suppose they believe in ?
    god of the kumquats ?!?

and in all this great big vast world...do you really believe god might not be the creator of all...or just those who read the same book as you....

since your good book tells you not to judge others (lest ye be judged)...if they choose a different path but reach the same goal...are they doomed...

and just what happens to even good people when, at the end of the day, they find that the seeming path of good intentions is found to be, instead (as warned) a road to hell...

what is god to me ? not that small....

There are certain judgments we can make. People like to misuse that verse a lot so that they can do what they want and no one is supposed to say anything. Well, I can tell you that if you commit murder or adultery or stead you are sinning because the Bible says so. I can tell you that if you don't believe the gospel of Christ, you are lost because the Bible says so. This comes from God, not me. And there aren't many paths to God, there is one per the Bible. Oh and I never said God isn't the Creator of all. That doesn't mean all will be saved. That's clear right in the Bible. And if you choose not to believe that or accept the authority of Scripture, that's fine, that's your choice. Why do you think Jesus gave the great commission. Evidently any old belief is not ok because He said to go to the whole world and preach the gospel.

No personal offense intended. The OP asked a question and I ansered it.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    There are certain judgments we can make. People like to misuse that verse a lot so that they can do what they want and no one is supposed to say anything. Well, I can tell you that if you commit murder or adultery or stead you are sinning because the Bible says so. I can tell you that if you don't believe the gospel of Christ, you are lost because the Bible says so. This comes from God, not me. And there aren't many paths to God, there is one per the Bible. Oh and I never said God isn't the Creator of all. That doesn't mean all will be saved. That's clear right in the Bible. And if you choose not to believe that or accept the authority of Scripture, that's fine, that's your choice. Why do you think Jesus gave the great commission. Evidently any old belief is not ok because He said to go to the whole world and preach the gospel.

No personal offense intended. The OP asked a question and I ansered it.
    Speaking as someone who taught Sunday school for 12 years and also served as a deacon body leader for 7 years, I respectfully disagree with you.....
    No where in the Bible are we told that we can make any sort of judgments about others. In fact, the Bible gives some very specific reasons not to be judgmental. (See Matthew 7)
    And while the Bible does name some sins specifically, it also states that all sins are the same in the eyes of God....this means that if I happen to have an affair, it is no different than someone else stealing food to God's way of seeing things.
    At no point does Jesus tell us that we are to haughilty flaunt our beliefs at others, nor are we to comdemn them for believing differently.
    We are told to love one another....Jesus even says that this is greatest commandment of all.....simply to love one another.
    Judgement of who will or who won't be saved is God''s business, and His alone.
    Yes, Jesus did say to spread the gospel throughout the world.....but at no time did he say to condemn anyone else while doing so.

wow !! perfect answer, SD...

especially this bit: AT NO POINT DOES JESUS TELL US THAT WE ARE TO HAUGHTILY FLAUNT OUR BELIEFS AT OTHERS, NOR ARE WE TO CONDEMN THEM FOR BELIEVING DIFFERENTLY

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    Speaking as someone who taught Sunday school for 12 years and also served as a deacon body leader for 7 years, I respectfully disagree with you.....
    No where in the Bible are we told that we can make any sort of judgments about others. In fact, the Bible gives some very specific reasons not to be judgmental. (See Matthew 7)
    And while the Bible does name some sins specifically, it also states that all sins are the same in the eyes of God....this means that if I happen to have an affair, it is no different than someone else stealing food to God's way of seeing things.
    At no point does Jesus tell us that we are to haughilty flaunt our beliefs at others, nor are we to comdemn them for believing differently.
    We are told to love one another....Jesus even says that this is greatest commandment of all.....simply to love one another.
    Judgement of who will or who won't be saved is God''s business, and His alone.
    Yes, Jesus did say to spread the gospel throughout the world.....but at no time did he say to condemn anyone else while doing so.
    I can agree with some of what you say here. However...respectfully, where the Bible clearly speaks Christians can speak. And it clearly says that those who don't come to Christ and believe on Him won't be saved therefore any Christian has authority to say that those who come to Christ will be saved and those who don't won't. I don't agree with this "I'm ok, you're ok" philosophy that's been around for quite some time. Those lost outside of Christ are not ok. Nor do I think it's ok to be haughty or arrogant in presenting the truth. I try not to be but I'm sure I don't always succeed. There are those who are better at saying things than I am.

Here's a little something about Christians and making judgments.

http://www.highlandpc.com/articles/makejudg.php

p.s. I posted a link though I don't know if that's allowed here. It is on any other board I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    p.s. I posted a link though I don't know if that's allowed here. It is on any other board I've been to.
    Depends on the link.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast