This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

Default Re: what is god to you?

It's really a hard question to answer. I do believe in God, but in my own sort of way. I've had some pretty intense paranormal experiences my entire life. Now as a paranormal investigator I seek scientific answers for this phenomena, and I don't know why, but it's become personal to me to make a difference in the field. But even in proving things scientifically, in a way most people can understand and even look at objectively, I can't turn away from God. For how is it possible that these spirits of people, and strange negative entities can exist, but yet, there is no God?

In my field, I have to separate God from the work I do, for if I include God, most people will turn away from me, call me another religious fanatic. But I have had experiences that make me think that there truly is a God. Like a time when I was dead myself, and I had a Near Death Experience. I was lost, alone in a hallway, it was dark and shadowy, I was very frightened. As I wandered, hoping to find my way out of this place, or at least someone who could help me, I saw a golden light shining up ahead. Maybe it was the way out. I followed it and ended up in a room, the golden light was a beam shining in through a window. Something told me that it was OK, to go lay down on the bed in the room and everything would be all right. So I did. I woke up a couple of days later, in the hospital. It was not even similar to the room I had found in that place. For a long time, I didn't realize how important this was, or that it was even a Near Death Experience. It took a while before I realized that what I had seen what must have been the light of God, or of the higher power that resides in the universe we live in.

I have met up with many ghosts in my time, many of them aware enough to know my name. I've also met up with other creatures that I do not consider human in any way, shape or form. What are they? I don't know yet, but when they come, it is Great Spirit I call out to for help, and so far, he's never let me down.

But God, I think is something none of us can really understand. I look at God in a strange way, I admit, but I don't think he's some guy who looks like us, floating out there in space, wanting to smite us for our mis-behaviors. To me it's more of a great consciousness that maybe even evolves as the universe does. Each day the universe changes, new stars are born, and it circles and grows. Maybe even new planets are shaped and new life grows on them. Is God standing there with his magic wand creating these things, or is he just a part of the universe, as old and as powerful as all time and space is itself?

I don't know, but I can say this. I don't think any form of life after death could be possible without this consciousness. I feel as if each one of us has a part of this consciousness inside of us. It is only waiting for us to reach out and touch that part of ourselves, to be more than we appear to be, to connect and try to come to a higher understanding. And for me, faith and religion are two different things. Religion in my eyes, twists what God is to make it what that religion wants it to be, and not what God really is. For in my time, I have heard many different sides to the whole religion thing, but not once has anyone ever tried to find the God inside of themselves that I think each one of us has.

For me, maybe it's string theory, those little tiny strings that connect us to everything else in the universe. Maybe it's my own experiences that have led me to have faith that there is more that just us here. That there may be a higher consciousness, a higher being out there somewhere. But for me, there has always been another side to life, a side most don't see or ever touch upon. I never asked for my strange paranormal life, but I see the difference in me because of it.

Like substances attract, it's a fact of science. Is my reaching out to the other side, and hoping to change the way people feel about their mortality, only reaching out to that part of God that is attached to me by those strings? Sometimes, I do think that maybe, yes, I'm reaching out to touch what is out there, the things I can not help but be connected to, and sometimes, it answers back.

But yes, my life has been strange, confusing and frightening at times. I belong here in the paranormal field, it has been ingrained into my life in ways I can't explain in the limited amount of characters I have here. Something or someone led me here, maybe to make changes in the way people feel about death and the after life. I don't know why, or how, but I think that it just might have been what some call "God" that led me here....

God is my guide, my protector, my inspiration, my hope, my reason for being anywhere. All it takes is that leap of faith, and the knowing beyond all understanding that God is God is now what my life is all about.

boogerb53 Guest

I, too am not a fan of organized religion. Now. That having been said, neither was Christ. God is everything. He is my beginning and my end. My salvation. My friend. Protector. Wonderful Counsler. Father (better than the earthly one he gave me, that's for sure!). He is the one I go to when all around me falls to dust. He is my uplifter. My confidant. My hope that this life is not all there is. He is not a myth. He is love. But he is also just. He is no respector of persons. He wraps me in His arms and carries me when I cannot go another step. He dances with me when I'm beside myself with joy. He is the Rock I go to when I'm sinking. He loves me for what I am....His imperfect child whom He made new and whole again when I accepted His son and changed my DNA....my very nature. Without Him I am nothing. With Him I am everything. He is the one I want to spend eternity with. Forever and ever and ever.

I work w/ a property appraiser. Iow, dealing w/ real-life facts -. Then again, always get LOL when I hear religious nuts speak of illogical events/plagiarisms & frauds as real-life history. At best I can see why they rely on astronomy & astrology & economics/trade for milleneas.

I once wrote a story about a similar topic. I called God a cockroach. I'm not as angry at him as I was then but I've never quite retracted the sentiment.

God is with me carrying my burdens so that I can continue to travel through this world with all of its perils. I have learned over the years that when the doctors want to do yet another unfamiliar test for a possible 'maybe', not to fret, but to give the worry to God and ask Him to be with me when I have the testing and the biopsy or whatever. When I do that an incredible weight is lifted off of me and I am at peace.

Dont believe in god or religion of any kind

I have no belief in God whatsoever, and I say that completely unapologetically. I'm grateful to have had the kind of parents who were quiet believers, but who never forced their beliefs upon me, and who left me to draw my own conclusions when I was old enough to do so.

Historically, "God" has been used to explain all manner of natural phenomena that, at the time, were impossible to explain in other terms, but science has made such inroads into explaining how the world turns and how the universe operates, that a belief in God seems almost quaint in the 21st Century.

PS Bluey, this is a bit of a heavy subject, my friend. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I'm able to post my thoughts here before some idiot has come along and tried to divert it to a debate about the merits of pizza, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    He's everything to me and I never doubt Him.

Amen, Sister.

To me, "God" is a name we give to that ineffable something -- a being, a force, a feeling -- that we know is there but we cannot begin to understand its enormity or its minuteness. God is a word we use as a handle for that.

As a Wiccan, I split that into male and female aspects. This is no better nor worse than any other way of relating to the Ultimate Divine. We all have our own way of making God something we can deal with day-to-day.

Now, I think that bringing things like evolution, Big Bang theory and the like is superfluous to the intent of this thread. The basic question was pretty straightforward and we should stick to that.
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast