Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
what is god to you/what do you revere? - Page 20

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

Default Re: what is god to you?

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    Doesn't it say that God is able to preserve His word? If so, then it must exist today. And if God is infallible, which He is, why wouldn't His own book be infallible?

Psalm 12:6-7 “The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.”

Ohhh, dueling Bible verses! Yeah, I'll play!

Quote Originally Posted by KJV
    And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    -Rev 22:19
    Why the warning if changing isn't possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    Last edited by Moderator; 1 Hour Ago at 07:53 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    You fix typos, Ms. Mod? Hey, I've got a backlog for ya!

I think there's a 5 second rule for fixing typos.

Ok, I get it. I'm boring and you don't accept the Bible as the infallible word of God and some think certain things in the Bible are fables. I do accept it as the infallible word of God so I guess there's not much more to say so carry on with whatever you want to say about me. No offense, but I really don't care if you pity me. There's only one truth for everyone whether they believe it or not, not an undending number of "truths" according to what you choose to believe. There is no "create your own reality." I know you'll say I'm arrogant but that's just plain common sense. The grass doesn't change from green to purple just because you choose to believe it's purple. The earth doesn't become flat because there are people who believe that it is. The law of gravity doesn't suspend itself because someone thinks they can jump off a cliff, flap their arms and fly. There are absolute truths and I believe the Bible to be the absolute truth. If you don't, that's your perogative. Have a nice day.

Doesn't it say that God is able to preserve His word? If so, then it must exist today. And if God is infallible, which He is, why wouldn't His own book be infallible?

Psalm 12:6-7 “The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.” KJVMore: http://www.acts1711.com/inspire.htm
    Of course God is able to preserve His word. He is infallible. The problem is that men are not. The bible was entrusted to and handled by fallible, imperfect human beings and the only way that God could ensure that the book itself is perfect is if God were to revoke man's free agency, which is something He would not do. He will never force us to be righteous.

I don't say this to degenerate the Holy Bible; I believe it is an inspired text, just that it's imperfect and may contain some error intermingled with truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Ohhh, dueling Bible verses! Yeah, I'll play!

Why the warning if changing isn't possible?
    It doesn't say that it's impossible for men to try and alter God's word. It's a warning of what will happen if they do. God's word cannot be altered in reality. That doesn't stop men from attempting it. For instance, the Jehovah's Witnesses have their own Bible where they've altered it to conform to their beliefs. I've even heard that the gays were going to create their own Bible, supposedly to take out the parts that condemn what they do. Whether they've actually done that, I don't know, it's just something I heard. They can print up new "Bibles" and add or take away or change what they want but that doesn't actually alter God's true word one iota which they will find out.

The only thing you are managing to do is sound like you miss the forest for the trees. I've gone back through your posts. Nowhere do you talk of lifting people up, good works, personal revelation, or anything that those within the Bible seem to value. Your comments seem to be nothing more than direct or indirect snipes at all those "other" people who are doing it wrong. I could play proverb with you (a game I can play very well) all day long, but then I would be engaging in the same, lazy intellectual deceptions. You have managed to offend (and anger) many here. I am not among them. You are merely boring me to tears. I want good conversations wherein I feel my education has been expanded, or at the least I have been allowed a glimpse of the world through another set of eyes. You haven't shown us anything. You are evoking the most embarrassing emotion of all. You are making us pity you.
    I don't get the same impression from vickilynn's posts, exactly. I think she's made an attempt to look at other people's perspective on this; she simply disagrees and comes to different conclusions. There have been things that I agree with her on and others where I don't, but I don't feel as though she's been offensive (even if I fall outside her definition of Christian). I can respect her stance on the issues at hand here and I honestly don't feel as though she's intentionally trying to belittle or put down other viewpoints.

Man, I gotta stay away from this thread. Faith is fundamentally devoid of logic and therefore the only debate that can be held are among those that agree the faith is truth and concerning small subtleties within it.

This is sad for me too, because I know the bible better than most of the cloth. But, people of faith are so easily offended by contradictory statements to this faith that is supposed to be such a strength inducing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    I do accept it as the infallible word of God so I guess there's not much more to say...
    See my previous post... this is what I am talking about. YOU accept it as such. That proves absolutely nothing is true except you have an opinion on a book. The opinion of Muslims is just as sure. And Catholics, who reject all other Christian faiths as not the true way (yet they practice one of the first no no's; idolatry). And Jews. And Sikhs. And Shinto. And Buddhism. Shall I go on? That is your OPINION of truth, not truth. Science is the only thing in this life that even approaches the definition of truth. Truth always cuts both ways and doesn't care about your opinion. Faith is based on and REQUIRES your opinion that the presented truth is such.

There's only one truth for everyone whether they believe it or not, not an undending number of "truths" according to what you choose to believe. There is no "create your own reality."
    Ummm... have you read the whole bible? It's all about creating reality around you via your faith. there are numerous verses detailing how anything is possible through faith. If two be together who can stand against them? Jesus' main theme was the life you see is an illusion and only through faith is the real revealed; the spirit world. You are way off on this one, sorry. Factual reference reveals this, not opinion.

I know you'll say I'm arrogant but that's just plain common sense. The grass doesn't change from green to purple just because you choose to believe it's purple. The earth doesn't become flat because there are people who believe that it is. The law of gravity doesn't suspend itself because someone thinks they can jump off a cliff, flap their arms and fly. There are absolute truths and I believe the Bible to be the absolute truth. If you don't, that's your perogative. Have a nice day.
    Common sense is not part of religion in any way, frankly. Common sense is logic. Faith is religion. The two are oil and water.

The flat world folks were the church. They locked up those who didn't agree.

Also you misspelled prerogative... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    I don't get the same impression from vickilynn's posts, exactly. I think she's made an attempt to look at other people's perspective on this; she simply disagrees and comes to different conclusions. There have been things that I agree with her on and others where I don't, but I don't feel as though she's been offensive (even if I fall outside her definition of Christian). I can respect her stance on the issues at hand here and I honestly don't feel as though she's intentionally trying to belittle or put down other viewpoints.

Thanks. It's true that I don't agree with other viewpoints but that doesn't mean I'm trying to be offensive. This particular thread has really about run it's course at least for me.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast