Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
what is god to you/what do you revere? - Page 23

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 283

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Holy Goat

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Vicki is entitled to her absolute belief in the Bible. I am a Christian but I do not believe every word of the Bible. Over the centuries the gospels have been edited for various reasons....most of them self-serving. I can still believe in Christ without taking all the bible at face value. For example, I do not think Homosexual relationships are a sin. The bible was written by men with very fixed ideas...especially when it came to women.

    All our beliefs are based on faith...and that alone. If it works for you...great. If it doesn't...that is cool too.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    outside the dome
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: what is god to you?



    baa-aaaa-amen !!

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Vicki is entitled to her absolute belief in the Bible. I am a Christian but I do not believe every word of the Bible. Over the centuries the gospels have been edited for various reasons....most of them self-serving. I can still believe in Christ without taking all the bible at face value. For example, I do not think Homosexual relationships are a sin. The bible was written by men with very fixed ideas...especially when it came to women.

    All our beliefs are based on faith...and that alone. If it works for you...great. If it doesn't...that is cool too.
    So God is unable to preserve His own word? And if you don't believe all of it's true, why believe any of it? How do you know which parts are true and which aren't? Just pick and choose what you want and leave the rest? If it's not all true, can any of it be trusted? As for homosexuality, I fully accept the biblical teaching that it is sin. In fact, God calls it an abomination and I believe Him. No personal offense intended to any homosexuals here.

    http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t003.html

    http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibleorg.html

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    So God is unable to preserve His own word?
    She didn't say that. It is impolite to put words in other people's mouths. No one has stated whether or not God can or cannot preserve "The Word." God's ability to do so is not the same as the will to do so. There are lots of things I can do, but choose not to do. If I have such options, it would be silly to assume that God does not.

    And if you don't believe all of it's true, why believe any of it?
    This is a silly question. It demonstrates a profound lack of critical thinking. If a kid writes an essay for a teacher, chances are some of it will be true. Some of it will be incorrect. If you find one error, it would be silly to assume everything is an error. The same is true in reverse. Just because the first paragraph written is correct doesn't mean the next eight pages will be. Do you believe everything anyone tells you? If I walk on to a car lot and the salesman says, "It is a beautiful day," and it is a beautiful day, do you assume everything said salesman says afterwards is 100% true? Critical thinking skills allow one to sort truth and fiction. The world is not black and white.

    How do you know which parts are true and which aren't?
    How do you know? This goes back to the fallacy of circular reasoning. You don't know anything. You simply have chosen a book (decided which interpretation you like) and stated this book is 100% true and thus I can rate all of reality by this book. The fact that you can't know the book is true in the first place is the problem.

    Just pick and choose what you want and leave the rest? If it's not all true, can any of it be trusted?
    This is exactly what YOU are doing. The joke is that you are completely blind to the fact.

    As for homosexuality, I fully accept the biblical teaching that it is sin. In fact, God calls it an abomination and I believe Him. No personal offense intended to any homosexuals here.
    How do you write this stuff with a straight face? I think you are all abominations and so does God, no offense.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    No personal offense intended to any homosexuals here.
    I always find this kind of sentiment funny: "I think you are a sin and an abomination and you absolutely disgust me, no offense."

    I am an atheist at most or an extremely apathetic agnostic at least, but I have a question. Considering that people have free will and whatnot, why could they not change the bible? Wouldn't god, as he seems wont to do, put something down and go "Whelp, do with it what you may" ?

    There are some crazy as hell passages in the bible that haven't been socially relevant since it was written.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    But God did not preserve his own word. He told and showed the people how to live the right way and they probably lost something in the translation. Jesus Christ was about love and compassion for those around him. How his followers interpreted that depended on the thinking and the mores of their day. The only message I could get from it was the one about love and hope. If I have disregarded other things, it is not that I wish to pick and choose. It is probably because I am a child of my own time.

    I like working in soup kitchens. I like helping with the Sally Ann Christmas kettles. I really enjoy interacting with folks in a street level capacity. It makes me feel whole and, I hope, closer to God's teachings. The heavy thinking stuff, I leave to other's.

    You are entitled to your beliefs my dear. It is your right to have them. God bless.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    She didn't say that. It is impolite to put words in other people's mouths. No one has stated whether or not God can or cannot preserve "The Word." God's ability to do so is not the same as the will to do so. There are lots of things I can do, but choose not to do. If I have such options, it would be silly to assume that God does not.



    This is a silly question. It demonstrates a profound lack of critical thinking. If a kid writes an essay for a teacher, chances are some of it will be true. Some of it will be incorrect. If you find one error, it would be silly to assume everything is an error. The same is true in reverse. Just because the first paragraph written is correct doesn't mean the next eight pages will be. Do you believe everything anyone tells you? If I walk on to a car lot and the salesman says, "It is a beautiful day," and it is a beautiful day, do you assume everything said salesman says afterwards is 100% true? Critical thinking skills allow one to sort truth and fiction. The world is not black and white.



    How do you know? This goes back to the fallacy of circular reasoning. You don't know anything. You simply have chosen a book (decided which interpretation you like) and stated this book is 100% true and thus I can rate all of reality by this book. The fact that you can't know the book is true in the first place is the problem.



    This is exactly what YOU are doing. The joke is that you are completely blind to the fact.



    How do you write this stuff with a straight face? I think you are all abominations and so does God, no offense.

    God isn't a salesman, He's God.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    I always find this kind of sentiment funny: "I think you are a sin and an abomination and you absolutely disgust me, no offense."

    I am an atheist at most or an extremely apathetic agnostic at least, but I have a question. Considering that people have free will and whatnot, why could they not change the bible? Wouldn't god, as he seems wont to do, put something down and go "Whelp, do with it what you may" ?

    There are some crazy as hell passages in the bible that haven't been socially relevant since it was written.
    God's word can't be changed. Making a new Bible and making it say what you want doesn't actually change it.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: what is god to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    But God did not preserve his own word. He told and showed the people how to live the right way and they probably lost something in the translation. Jesus Christ was about love and compassion for those around him. How his followers interpreted that depended on the thinking and the mores of their day. The only message I could get from it was the one about love and hope. If I have disregarded other things, it is not that I wish to pick and choose. It is probably because I am a child of my own time.

    I like working in soup kitchens. I like helping with the Sally Ann Christmas kettles. I really enjoy interacting with folks in a street level capacity. It makes me feel whole and, I hope, closer to God's teachings. The heavy thinking stuff, I leave to other's.

    You are entitled to your beliefs my dear. It is your right to have them. God bless.
    Yes, He did. If you don't believe it and accept it as God's infallible word then we don't have much to talk about because I do. I'm going to try and take the advice of a Christian friend. She doesn't argue the legitimacy of the Bible with people, believes it's dishonoring to it's Author.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •