This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

Default Re: what is god to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    So why did you depart as Whitey Appleseed, with the expectation that you weren't coming back? Since you are fan, and Sai King's books are addictive, I can only assume your departure from this site was due to some discussion that disagreed with you, or perhaps you had disagreed with others? This is the only logical assumption I can make based upon what you have given us.

This explains why you first came but not why you first left (or the regular name changes).

It does not logically follow that you would return to the more contentious areas of discussion now does it? Those would seem to have nothing to do with your purpose for coming originally or coming back. In fact, we must logically deduce it was your discussions in these other areas that likely led to your departure and name changes. I trust you see what I'm getting at here.

What I asked isn't for a list of your aliases, but rather WHY you feel the need to go through them.
    I was trying to explain myself and above you state: "This explains why you first came but not why you first left (or the regular name changes)." Others have seemed to ask elsewhere for an explanation...I've tried to provide it.

Obviously, no. As I stated above, you talk a bit about things I didn't ask you but you have not addressed the questions at hand.

Thank you, Robert, for your challenging questions and forgive me for not answering them. I admire your diplomacy. I departed from the board as “Whitey Appleseed” due in part to the response to my wish to discuss the differences in the two versions of The Gunslinger. I don’t recall the date I left--but the bottom line was that. As I recall, either in a post or in a message to Ms Moderator, I lamented that there were more discussions in the “Chattery Teeth” section of the board. I was discouraged that the same amount of discussion was not taking place in “Novels, Stories.”

I recall one question about the green man in Insomnia that asked whether the green man was a force for good…or bad. When I read The Wind Through the Keyhole, I had the same question about the…sprite…that led the boy through the woods. Good? Bad? The idea that there is a…3rd Force…as seems to posited in some of King’s stories is an intriguing idea.

So…to repeat…the disheartening lack (as I saw it) lack of discourse about King’s stories…and the final “straw”…Ms Mod’s suggestion that posting long sections of the two variations of The Gunslinger is a bad idea. This is my recall. If I’m in error, Ms Mod, forgive me. I’m willing to believe I read it all wrong, but that was how I read it. I recall a member posting, “post a thread, wind up dead”. Nicely ambiguous, but I wondered if the member meant the thread I’d started about the differences in The Gunslinger.

And so I was gone for a time. King did not stop writing stories and I did not stop reading them. I don’t recall the exact date that “bluey lunger” arrived. But I’d been lurking on the board and I was encouraged by many of the discussions that were on-going. I came back. None of this had been by design. I like Stephen King’s stories. I didn’t come to the board as “Whitey Appleseed” with the idea that at a set time I would depart. I hope the above explains why I left.

I don’t recall the specifics of why I asked Ms Mod to delete my “bluey lunger” membership. As I recall, I tried to participate more in the non-Stephen King discussions. And I stuck around because the board was a fun place to hang out. I think over the course of “blue’s” life, I became aware that I rubbed someone the wrong way. To this day I don’t know what I said/posted that went against the grain. I’d post the name of the member…but memory doesn’t serve me well…and I don’t know--I thought I saw the member’s page in the last day or two--and yet my memory is faulty.

I’d add that as “bluey” I had a blast posting Stephen King quotes in a social group by that name. I looked the other day and although I didn’t look through all of the pages, it appears those quotes are still there. A favorite is from It, a story you are well-versed…something that Bill thought, about a little man in one’s head…tracking that little bugger down…but not killing him, oh no, killing him was too good for the likes of him… I forget the exact quote, but I suspect you’re familiar with the passage. You put him in harness, is what Bill thought. Plow.

Why did “bluey” leave? I don’t recall, exactly. I believe in the end I felt I’d worn out my welcome. I didn’t think the posts that had value weren’t appreciated enough, if at all. The Stephen King Quotes social group is still available. Maybe my exuberance was misunderstood. But I didn’t see the same kind of appreciation as was shown to others who also posted in that group.

Why did “omm poppa mow mow” leave? Combination of things. And rather than to go into detail here--repeating a matter separates close friends--or so the proverb reads…as I understand it…and knowing I’m on the losing end of the proposition before I begin…leaving seemed like the best thing to do at the time.

“Guns” is Stephen King’s most recent work. “You thoughts on Steve’s essay” is the thread I returned to.
    You’d prefer a situation where all I can condemn is cancer and praise only sunshine? I understood coming back that that initial post would not be greeted w/bells and whistles. The points I made are valid.
    One reason I did not join the ranks of the fabled single-post member is because in time I’d like to discuss the stories I’d read since my last incarnation here.

Default Re: what is god to you/what do you revere?

My recollection is that I told you that we could not post the sections for comparisons between the two versions as you had suggested because there had been so many changes throughout The Gunslinger that it would end up posting most of the book and that would not be conducive to protecting Stephen's copyright.

Moving on now, though, I think there has been enough of the explanations as to the various incarnations and time to get back to the original intent of this thread.

internetally psychotic?

what can i say

...you try and you try and you try to come up with something unique: sometimes it works....and sometimes it just lays there like a fat hen in the noonday sun waiting to be plucked

Quote Originally Posted by boogerb53 View Post
    I, too am not a fan of organized religion. Now. That having been said, neither was Christ. God is everything. He is my beginning and my end. My salvation. My friend. Protector. Wonderful Counsler. Father (better than the earthly one he gave me, that's for sure!). He is the one I go to when all around me falls to dust. He is my uplifter. My confidant. My hope that this life is not all there is. He is not a myth. He is love. But he is also just. He is no respector of persons. He wraps me in His arms and carries me when I cannot go another step. He dances with me when I'm beside myself with joy. He is the Rock I go to when I'm sinking. He loves me for what I am....His imperfect child whom He made new and whole again when I accepted His son and changed my DNA....my very nature. Without Him I am nothing. With Him I am everything. He is the one I want to spend eternity with. Forever and ever and ever.
    This was so good to read now!

If we use the traditional monotheistic definition of God, (omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent), then God is the ground of all being, virtual, unchanging, sufficient in itself, unbound, infinite.

God then is an encompassing singularity, and all that is expressible is bound necessarily to God. God is the set of all sets; the One without a second; necessarily incapable of thought, (since thought implies changes of state of the thinker.)

Of the three omni characteristics, omnipresence is the most interesting. To be omnipresent is to have no subjective experience of time since God is continuously present across all dimensions, (including time.) Considered as a virtual entity, God -- the omnipresent -- is not unlike a fractal equation, which exists and "contains" a universe of expressible forms, (whether instantiated or not.) Instantiation then is not strictly speaking necessary, as the unchanging omnipresent already contains every expressible form that is consistent with what it is in itself.

One may of course dispense with the word "God", and it is a good idea to do so from my perspective, as an unbounded infinity is not bound to a frame, (without regard to how pretty is the guilding.)

For my part, I've dabbled in many religions, and I can honestly say I found at least one thing about them all that I can respect individually....I love the Catholics for their sense of tradition, I love the wiccans for thier respect of the world we live in, I dig the buddhists because they accept everybody, and they don't care what you bring with you to the party, (THAT's unconditional love, IMO) But I'm not a believer in any of them, or their God.

For my two cents, if anybody's in charge, they're doing a poor job.
    Not saying any religion or idea is wrong, just saying that I don't really buy any of that, in it's entirety.
    That's why I loved it when I read a "From a Buick 8"....Everybody takes what they will from the same piece of literature...what I took away from it is this; Some questions, you'll just never have the answers to, and if you don't quit beating your head on a wall, you'll eventually go nuts.

I agree with that too. Why do we need to know? Will believing, or being threatened with some sort of hell change your behavior? Why does somebody watching you change how you act? Or, why does some grand plan make you feel better about getting out of bed every morning?

I get that some people have a lot to face when they wake up, some people more than others, and I don't want to put down anybody's ideas....they all have some good lessons to teach. Just not for me. I get what I feel is important in every religion, (be nice to each other,) without needing to be reminded of it by some organization or book. I try to be a good person because I think the world sucks enough without my making it worse. Isn't that all that matters?

I'd be more impressed with religion if cruelty and dishonesty were deadly sins.

Quote Originally Posted by no bounce no play View Post
    I'd be more impressed with religion if cruelty and dishonesty were deadly sins.
    All sins are deadly sins. I'm not sure if you're referring to the "mortal" and "venial" sin standard or not. There is no such distinction in the bible. The bible says that the wages of sin is death in Romans 6:23. Rev 21:8 it says that for nothing more than lying, you spend eternity burning in a lake of fire which is called the second death.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantly Reading View Post
    For my part, I've dabbled in many religions, and I can honestly say I found at least one thing about them all that I can respect individually....I love the Catholics for their sense of tradition, I love the wiccans for thier respect of the world we live in, I dig the buddhists because they accept everybody, and they don't care what you bring with you to the party, (THAT's unconditional love, IMO) But I'm not a believer in any of them, or their God.

For my two cents, if anybody's in charge, they're doing a poor job.
    Not saying any religion or idea is wrong, just saying that I don't really buy any of that, in it's entirety.
    That's why I loved it when I read a "From a Buick 8"....Everybody takes what they will from the same piece of literature...what I took away from it is this; Some questions, you'll just never have the answers to, and if you don't quit beating your head on a wall, you'll eventually go nuts.

I agree with that too. Why do we need to know? Will believing, or being threatened with some sort of hell change your behavior? Why does somebody watching you change how you act? Or, why does some grand plan make you feel better about getting out of bed every morning?

I get that some people have a lot to face when they wake up, some people more than others, and I don't want to put down anybody's ideas....they all have some good lessons to teach. Just not for me. I get what I feel is important in every religion, (be nice to each other,) without needing to be reminded of it by some organization or book. I try to be a good person because I think the world sucks enough without my making it worse. Isn't that all that matters?
    My faith in Christ isn't blind faith. I have been changed by relationship with Jesus. I can do things that would not have been possible in the state of mind I was in, prior to accepting Jesus as my savior. And knowing is pretty important. If you're standing in the street and you don't see a bus coming, you don't know you're about to be killed. That might not seem like a problem because then you'd be dead right? But at the point of your death is when your question of who's right will be answered. The unfortunate thing is, by the time you "know" the truth, it will be too late for you to use that truth to your advantage. There can only be one ultimate truth. Having two ultimate truths means one of them is error. As you I've tried different faiths, faith in God through Christ is the only one that has worked over the long term.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast