Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
what is god to you/what do you revere? - Page 6

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: what is god to you/what do you revere?

Default Re: what is god to you?

Quote Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
    ...Historically, "God" has been used to explain all manner of natural phenomena that, at the time, were impossible to explain in other terms, but science has made such inroads into explaining how the world turns and how the universe operates, that a belief in God seems almost quaint in the 21st Century. ...
    Very patronizing.
    In fact, people did not set aside religion because science developed; rather, science developed because people set aside religion.
    How to build technology and a stable economy, science indeed has given us; that this is a good aim for humanity, and the other major modern presumptions, derive from the same "faith" of secular humanism which started western science in the first place.
    As for an explaination of the universe, our "inroads" mostly have just allowed those really paying attention to realize exactly how clueless we are.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Very patronizing.
    In fact, people did not set aside religion because science developed; rather, science developed because people set aside religion.
    How to build technology and a stable economy, science indeed has given us; that this is a good aim for humanity, and the other major modern presumptions, derive from the same "faith" of secular humanism which started western science in the first place.
    As for an explaination of the universe, our "inroads" mostly have just allowed those really paying attention to realize exactly how clueless we are.
    I don't think we should discuss the meaning of religion to society here...there are some positive things and some negative things (like with almost everything). But it does not matter to the question if there is or isn't a god...

And there are many questions left about the universe...but that also does not contribute to the question if there is or is not a god...just because we don't know everything about the universe (we do know something...), does not make it more logical that god just did it all. We use to know nothing about viruses and bacteria....we know now so much more! Because people once did not accept that god made people sick and thought something else would be more logical!

I hope u notice i do not say there is or isn't a god, just wanted the facts straight

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Very patronizing.
    I think God used physics, evolution and all life sciences to create everything. After all, who is the best physicist. His clever use of science backs up everything anthropologists have found. Science and creation are in perfect harmony.

i honestly dont know ---- it kinda confuses me

My faith used to be really strong in God, but for the past couple of years I've had a hard time believing in God when it seems like everything is going completely against my beliefs...so I'm not quite sure where I'm at right now. Hopefully someday soon my faith will restore itself....

God is subtle or hard, whatever you make of him, its all good. All the sacred texts cannot explain it or contain God. The highest form of goodness, like water, giving life to all things without striving with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Strickland View Post
    I think God used physics, evolution and all life sciences to create everything. After all, who is the best physicist. His clever use of science backs up everything anthropologists have found. Science and creation are in perfect harmony.

That seems maybe logical...but it isn't when you think about it. What created the creator? The god you talk about must be so clever...so brilliant...and whatever (or who ever) made that god....must be even more clever....while evolution and science started out simple...and got more and more complicated on the way....logical would be if there was just some kind of reaction that put the process in working....what that reaction was....I don't know...but just because no one knows...does not mean (a very complicated) suer-being did it automatically...like i wrote...it is not logical!

But I love these questions...and reading about them

" ...and so it came to pass that Moses came down from the mountain carrying two stone tablets (there were actually four tablets but they were really heavy & Moses was old... and tired from wandering around the desert for all those years!) & he said to the Israelites as they danced around their newly forged baby cow, "Lo, I have seen The Lord God! He spoke to me from within a burning bush!", and they were in awe & repliedith,
    " OK there Moses... Maybe you were burnin' a little bush there too?"

Quote Originally Posted by OhmyGod! View Post
    I don't think we should discuss the meaning of religion to society here...there are some positive things and some negative things (like with almost everything). But it does not matter to the question if there is or isn't a god...

And there are many questions left about the universe...but that also does not contribute to the question if there is or is not a god...just because we don't know everything about the universe (we do know something...), does not make it more logical that god just did it all. We use to know nothing about viruses and bacteria....we know now so much more! Because people once did not accept that god made people sick and thought something else would be more logical!

I hope u notice i do not say there is or isn't a god, just wanted the facts straight
    Is the question of whether there is a god or not the topic of this thread? I thought that it was about what the word means to each of us... and THAT is something to which the meaning of religion in general to society in general does directly relate.

If it is fair game to analyze the motives of the religious, then it's equally important to analyze the motives of the irreligious, isn't it?

Regarding the logic of evolution, why should evolution be more logical than devolution? If the universe started out simple, then grew more complex, and that is merely the result of chance, then wouldn't it ultimately just start to fall apart? Even if you cannot accept the traditional personality of "God," can you acknowledge the possibilty of something divine at work in existence?

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger. Cal Naughton, Jr.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast