This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The stand remake?

Default Re: The stand remake?

Gary Sinise was definitely the best casting.

I liked the mini series too. People make fun of it and the actor who played Flagg was dreadful but there were many redeeming moments.

This book could be made into 3 different movies! I'm hoping if they do remake it it would be a big screen movie and not a made for TV one. The stand deserves that!

Quote Originally Posted by King fan from trinidad View Post
    This book could be made into 3 different movies! I'm hoping if they do remake it it would be a big screen movie and not a made for TV one. The stand deserves that!
    I am new here, so pardon the bad form if this has already been brought up many times previously - I think "The Stand" could be made into 3 full-length (2.5 - 3 hour) films much like "The Lord of the Rings". (The novel is already written in three books anyway...)

The Stand Film one - Captain Trips
    The Stand Film two - The Walking Dude
    The Stand Film three - The Circle Closes

Are we talking about another miniseries or a feature film? Film producers would be hard pressed to get the depth of the story on the screen in 2-3 hours. That would tip the scales in favor or a miniseries. But the small screen would lack the grittiness that gave The Stand its impact. Personally, I'd like to see a series of top quality feature films, released over a period of a few years.

Hey, it worked for The Lord of the Rings. Why not The Stand?

I'd be happy to see a re-make. The mini-series I did not like that much. Well , actually, I did not like it at all. Had I seen the movies first I probably would not have sat down to read the book - for me they were that bad. Anyway Gary Sinise would be a good choice for the re-make.

I have mixed feelings on a remake. While the original miniseries was by no means perfect, I think it did a lot of things well. I would really miss Gary Sinise, Bill Fagerbakke, Miguel Ferrer, Ray Walston, and some of the other actors. I also really like the soundtrack for the miniseries, I find that it sets the tone really well in a number of scenes.

I'll admit that I saw the miniseries when it was originally aired in 1994 before I ever read the book, so that may be why I enjoy it more than many people who read the book first. I was 13 at the time and I was just starting to get into Stephen King, and this miniseries is what enticed me to read the book (which I love). Considering that it was a miniseries on ABC, I think they did the best they could when you factor in budget and what they will allow you to show on network TV.

With that said, there were some characters that were miscast that I would like to see someone else portray (i.e. Molly Ringwald and Corin Nemec). The "special effects" were very hokey and made it hard to take some scenes seriously, so I would like to see those redone with modern technology.

I think the only way to do the story justice would either be by splitting it into three 2-3 hour movies, or by making an 8-12 part miniseries on HBO or another cable channel (like Game of Thrones). In my perfect world, a remake would take the best parts of the original miniseries (esp. Gary Sinise) but upgrade the areas where it fell short. I do not feel that they should incorporate modern things like cell phones, etc; but rather be true to the source material and have it take place in the early '80s.

I say we give Molly Ringwald full production rights and let her adapt the screenplay.What say you, SKMB?

Well now that this is getting closer than ever to actually happening, here's my casting choices for now...

Stu Redman - Timothy Olyphant
    Larry Underwood - Justin Timberlake
    Nick Andros - Emile Hirsch
    Fran Goldsmith - Natalie Portman
    Harold Lauder - Jonah Hill
    Nadine Cross - Rooney Mara
    Glen Bateman - Donald Sutherland
    Tom Cullen - Kristian Nairn
    Lloyd Henreid - Walton Goggins
    Ralph Brentner -
    Trashcan Man - Jeremy Davies
    Randall Flagg - Michael Fassbender

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Well, I finally saw this movie a couple of weeks ago, on VHS tapes, I borrowed it from a family member. I remember I read The Stand years ago, could've been back in '94 & I absolutely loved it! Then some years later I heard there was a movie based on the book, & I refused to watch it, because I knew they could never get all that awesomeness of the book into a movie? Just the thought of that was insulting! & I read somewhere(not this site) that the movie was not even that good. But I decided to put away my prejudices & just watch it. I have to admit, I actually liked it! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, very entertaining. Of course, the movie can never compare to the book, but I think they did a pretty good job. Stu & Larry were gorgeous! & Randall Flagg was an interesting character, kind of handsome in a odd sorta way....So now that I've seen the movie, I can't imagine a remake. I like this movie, & am not hoping for a remake.
    PS: There was an interview w/the cast & Mr. King after the movie, & can you imagine my dismay at knowing that they filmed in Las Vegas & I live so close to there & didn't even know about it?? There went my big chance to see Mr. King!...I'm always late to the party!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast