This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally saw this.

Default Re: Finally saw this.

I watched this over the weekend. I thought it was very well done. Some things were changed, but overall it's a good movie.

I rather liked it! As a fan of the books, of course there were parts where I'd wished things could have been a little better. But, i loved it. Ron Perlman was terrifying.

I liked the movie but, I saw it about a year after I read the book. And the book was ALOT better. In movies you don't get to adore SK's writing style. You still get the great story of coarse. But it isn't told quite the same. After a year I still remember my favorite line in the story. Some of you may think it is simple or not special because it's just a description. But I thought it was brilliant. (A Bonnie Raitt tape that had suffered a miscarriage in Deirdre's dashboard player.)

No one has mentioned the religious angle in this story. I find that sad. The little boys soul was at stake and no comment has been made. He didnt have a specific religion but he believed with all his heart and even convinced the others. This was the unifying core to the whole story! Am I the only one who saw it that way? Remember the conversation in the jail with the mother becoming alarmed that her son was praying ?The motorcycle rider (author) was the one to explain the boys feelings to his own parents. Makes me feel like everyone here drank the same amensia (sp) drink & somehow 'forgot' the point of the story....perhaps you dont agree? let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by CCAL View Post
    No one has mentioned the religious angle in this story. I find that sad. The little boys soul was at stake and no comment has been made. He didnt have a specific religion but he believed with all his heart and even convinced the others. This was the unifying core to the whole story! Am I the only one who saw it that way? Remember the conversation in the jail with the mother becoming alarmed that her son was praying ?The motorcycle rider (author) was the one to explain the boys feelings to his own parents. Makes me feel like everyone here drank the same amensia (sp) drink & somehow 'forgot' the point of the story....perhaps you dont agree? let me know.
    Yes I remember and agree 100% I just wasn't referring to the plot of the story. I was comparing it to the movie. But, you are right. It is a cool little religous battle in the end.

I wish they'd make the Regulator's since their sister books or maybe brother books I liked it better out of the two

Quote Originally Posted by CCAL View Post
    Yeah agreed. It's a very powerful angle too. I like the good over evil aspects in his books. It was a powerful performance Thanks for bringing it up.

oh, and Ron Perlman was fantastic IMO!

I re-watched Desperation on dvd this past Friday. I originally saw it when it first aired on tv. I think I may have posted about it at that time and gave it an ok revue. I probably said something negative about Mick Garris too, at the time. After the re-watch, I have to say that it is actually a pretty darn good movie! Maybe it was being able to see it without commercial interruptions, or being able to hear all of the creepy background noises on my surround system that I didn't pick up on the first time seeing it, but I have to say that this movie really got under my skin this time! There were a couple of times were I was really nervous! The acting from everyone really impressed me this time, too. Ron Pearlman was really quite scary in his role. Creeped me out! So, Mr. Garris, I think I owe you an apology! Ya done good!

Desperation was the second book I'd read (OK, well HEARD as it was an unabridged reading). So I awaited the movie eagerly - for months and months. I must admit that I was disappointed. It seemed to trivialize the story (only my opinion of course) to fit it into a comparatively short film - compared to the book. The sequence I really didn't like - it looked too comical - was the old-fashioned movie about the miners...

jimson Guest

How well it matches up to the image I create in my mind from the book is how I tend to judge a film adaption and this one was pretty darn good. The physical setting was nearly perfect. The municipal building and jail cell was a perfect match as was the mining offices and mine itself.

As I was watching it, I wondered if it was filmed in Southern AZ where I live and found out that it was. The mine is in Bisbee and some of it was filmed here in Tucson, so the local connection is always a cool thing. Apparently there was a fire in one of the sets at the local entertainment arena where some folks got injured.

Apparently they had a premiere here advertising the film that set "Tucson on fire", but I don't recall reading about any of that back in 2004.

The casting all matched up pretty well to my imaginary cast from the book and Ron Perlman was of course, fantastic.

It can never be exactly like the book, but if you cut a little slack for that it was all in all, pretty decent work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast