This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Who would you want to star as Dale Barbara in the movie?

Default Re: Who would you want to star as Dale Barbara in the movie?

Barbie is YOUNG, so it can't be Bruce Willis or Russell Crowe!! Crowe could be Colonel Cox though.

Barbie - Josh Hartnett or Jeremy Renner.

I don't know exactly why I had this impression but when I was reading it, I thought of Dale being a vet of the first Gulf War, not the more recent one, so would have been older. Maybe it was because of his rank when he was in the service that I just jumped to the conclusion that he'd been in longer to have achieved that than someone who was in their 20s or early 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam66 View Post
    Barbie is YOUNG, so it can't be Bruce Willis or Russell Crowe!! Crowe could be Colonel Cox though.

Barbie - Josh Hartnett or Jeremy Renner.
    That's the thing - Barbie *isn't* all that young. While I don't have a copy of UTD at hand, I'm almost positive he's a vet of the first Gulf War, as Ms. Mod says.

Tim Daly is fifty; I think he'd be perfect for Barbie. He'd have been around 30 in 1991, he's good-looking enough to draw a female audience, and cool enough to draw a male audience without being intimidating. Crowe is also 50, so he's a good fit as well. And Josh Brolin could do it, too.

But that's just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    That's the thing - Barbie *isn't* all that young. While I don't have a copy of UTD at hand, I'm almost positive he's a vet of the first Gulf War, as Ms. Mod says.

Tim Daly is fifty; I think he'd be perfect for Barbie. He'd have been around 30 in 1991, he's good-looking enough to draw a female audience, and cool enough to draw a male audience without being intimidating. Crowe is also 50, so he's a good fit as well. And Josh Brolin could do it, too.

No, I'm pretty sure he's a vet of the second Iraq war. The incidents he talks about or that are mentioned in the book, make me think so. Second, it fits in better with the relationship between him and Cox considering Cox' rank and the time that has passed since Barbie was in the Army. "20 years ago" just doesn't fit in in my opinion. Barbie retired as a Captain (though I just came across the line where Cox addresses him as Lieutenant), and I don't get the impression it was all THAT long ago, so I picture him in his thirties. He also thinks that he would consider having a relationship with Rose if only she was a few years younger. So if he's really a first gulf war vet, that line of thought would make him look pretty stupid -because I think Rose is her 50s or maybe late 40s? If he was a first gulf war vet, Rose would be EXACTLY the right age for him. (Unless he was a bit of a chauvinist and of the opinion that men need younger women which I don't think is the case.)

Nope, Barbie is young and cute. I have nothing against Bruce Willis but when I think of Barbie, I picture the young Army officers I've known, not a middle-aged (or past it!) balding man. Sorry. And really, even IF Brabie was a firt gulf war vet (which I don't think he is), Bruce Willis would be too old.

We need to find new screen heroes because Bruce Willis just can't do it anymore.

Barbie remembers Fallujah and bad things happening there, and if you read this Wikipedia entry about Fallujah, it seems a whole lot more likely that he's thinking about Fallujah related events in 2004 than 1991.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallujah#Modern_Era

I'm pretty convinced that he's mid/late thirties. And obviously he has to be cute enough to attract young Amy's attention. Sorry, but I really don't see an old man when I think of Barbie.

Who would play Cox if Barbie was Bruce Willis? Sean Connery?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post

Anyone considered Leonardo DiCaprio? I'm new and this thread is too long to read the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    Anyone considered Leonardo DiCaprio? I'm new and this thread is too long to read the whole thing.
    No But I guess we all have our own mental image of Barbie.

I hate to sound like the person who just has to be right but...

early in the book Julia's age is given as 43.

Later on when she and Barbie have sex, her thought is that she is old enough to be his mother. She then corrects that to "if I had given birth at 13!" So Barbie is definitely not an old-ish man... he's in his 30s and young looking. And he can't be a gulf war one vet. I also seem to recall that the year 2004 is mentioned at some point in the book, in the context of Barbie's military career but I don't recall where in the book that was and I'm not reading it on the kindle so can't look for it.

Just one more thing I love about the book! Women, kids and retired super market managers have to save the day while two male heroes are stuck in jail... and the middle-aged woman gets the young hero. Way to go Mr. King! I'm loving it.

Good catch!

Ms Mod, is there any news on who has been cast in this production yet?

If filming is going to start in February then surely they definitely know who will star in it by now.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast