Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Not Sure Why But....? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Sure Why But....?

Default Re: Not Sure Why But....?

Definitely. I like to reread things that I really like as it helps me more fully absorb the story in my memory. I have read The Stand more often than any other book (have read the uncut edition 4 times - although the last time I skipped parts like the Trashcan man's long journey, and 'The Kid' as I did not especially get anything out of them and they are superfluous to the plot). It is my favourite and my 3 favourite characters, Larry, Nick and Tom make the book seriously enjoyable. What a plot!

But most books of King's I have read more than once (either that or I have yet to read them). The only one I KNOW I have only read once is Cell. It's not a favourite. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and it was fairly well paced throughout with plenty of tension, horror and excitement in all the right places, but for me, the ending, like the ending of ...Tom Gordon, was a let down. I think it's VERY hard to conclude a story as, whether you are the reader or the writer, you've gotten into it for a while, and then, all of a sudden, you have to let it go. Very hard to make that seem final and at the same time have you go 'wow' and feel really satisfied. IMO anyway.
    I will definitely be reading the Dark Tower books when I have finished the 7th book, which I have and plan to start just as soon as I've finished 11:22:63, as my favourite Stephen King character of all, Oy, is a delight!

Ever notice how much more you get out of a re-read after a chunk of time has passed? I guess it's because you acquire more life experience and a deeper perspective on everything the longer you live. For example, I had to read The Scarlet Letter in high school as required reading. I read it again in my late twenties and then again about ten years later. I found that book to be so much more meaningful each time I read it. Just recently I read The Tommyknockers again, after a twenty-year break. I appreciated it much more than I did when I read it the first time.

I love a re-read. I tend to take more time. When I get my hands on a new book I kind of race through it, and can finish it in a couple of days. A re-read is like a stroll down a familiar path, stopping to notice bits I missed before, when I was like a whirling dervish desperate to get to the end. I re-read alot.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    I love a re-read. I tend to take more time. When I get my hands on a new book I kind of race through it, and can finish it in a couple of days. A re-read is like a stroll down a familiar path, stopping to notice bits I missed before, when I was like a whirling dervish desperate to get to the end. I re-read alot.
    ...that pretty much sums up(in a more poetic way)how I am as well, I blast through a first read like a lemming on meth, then I saunter through the re-reads and sniff the literary roses...

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    Ever notice how much more you get out of a re-read after a chunk of time has passed? I guess it's because you acquire more life experience and a deeper perspective on everything the longer you live.
    Ain't that the truth.

Also, every time you re-read a book, it is the first time.
    After all, we're never the same person two days running, are we?

SK's books have kept me going through the good times & the bad times - especially the bad times, as my health is going down the pan, as I get older.

Unlike many other more 'literary' authors, I've never grown out of SK.
    Nor do I expect to

I re-read books very seldom, because there are just too many great books out there, I want to read as many as I can. Though, there are a few SK books I have read more than once. And as for Cell, I also have an urge to re-read it (it just occurred to me that I do not remember having it in my collection, I have only read it in Russian a few years ago, so, probably, i should purchase it and read it again, as I liked it very much).

I honestly have no urge to re-read Cell right now, but ask me again in a year or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12