This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mist: Movie Vs Book

Default Re: The Mist: Movie Vs Book

Quote Originally Posted by jlee View Post
    I saw the movie when it first came out and was really disturbed by the ending. I found that I was still thinking about it days later. .
    I loved it but it really got to me. I'm amazed at how many movies/books haunt me now that I'm a mom. I can't imagine being put in that position to choose to do something so horrible, thinking it's the best for all involved.

loved both movie and story. the ending of the movie was horrific and felt true to King's technique. i believe that people who don't read books and only watch movies would have felt cheated if Frank Darabont used the story's ending. people mostly want closure to movies, whereas people who read more are happy to accept an open-ended ending---it keeps the story alive (kinda like the movie Inception).

One other point -- Frank Darabont, the director, has had a long association with Stephen King's work. He directed The Mist, Shawshank, Green Mile, and wrote an adaptaton (that I'd love to see) of "The Woman in the Room" way back in 1983. I'd figure he's got carte blanche after his track record of both commercial success and respect for the source material.

In the movie, Marcia Gay Harding (sp) was excellent as Mrs.Carmody. She played the part very well turning people's fear to the point that they were willing to murder and even sacrifice a young innocent child to save their own lives.

I don't like the way the movie ended. I would found some type of building and run for it OR just stay in the car and wait....They cannot get it in and as long as you are alive there is hope.....

I haven't read the novella, but the movie was really good. It gives me all the more incentive to read the novella. I'll eventually get to it.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

I read the story first. Much likey.

Saw the movie eventually...fine enough...but hated the ending.

I kept thinking about that crappy ending. Man, I hate that sucky ending. WTF is this, a horror movie?

After therapy, several soiled straightjackets, and a lot of Thorazine, I realized that the movie's last tidbit was a rare Hollywood pinnacle.

There's no happy "Forrest Gump" feather blowing in the breeze.

~BJS

Quote Originally Posted by michal View Post
    I am one of those fans I'm afraid. I preferred the slightly more optimist open-ending of the book over the complete pointless and to my opinion tacky ending of the movie. But of course, it's just an opinion
    Me too. I'm one of those "half glass full" people.

Loved the ending to the film... loved the book ending as well but with a movie, they changed the ending perfectly that brought it into terror levels of the human soul. That's what I read for and sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't.

I share your thoughts on the translation from book to screen, Some good, some not so good. I was at a book signing that Stephen did in Vermont, and if I'm not mistaken he spoke on this very topic, specifically "The Mist". I think Ms. Mod prety much sums up what he had to say about giving The Mist over to Hollywood. For the record I also liked the book ending better. and if anyone who reads this was at that UTD signing, give me a shout, and let me know that I'm not crazy

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast