Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Mist: Movie Vs Book - Page 7

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Mist: Movie Vs Book

Default Re: The Mist: Movie Vs Book

I loved both endings, but the movie one was really unexpected and really made you think about it.

I liked the movie ending better myself.

Hope and Hartford

I don't know how much of my post to put in spoilers so I'm dumping it all between spoiler brackets lol

I think the story's ending worked best for the story and the movie's ending worked best for the movie. Both endings were actually a bit open ended but the movie's ending was more visual than imaginative and I think many movie viewers assumed the military would take care of things.

I think SK readers become more immersed in a story than most movie viewers do. Readers are more likely to accept the idea that safe haven may or may not be found... they want to feel the same insecurities the character feels.

I am going to have to buy the BR version now ... for the B&W. Or fiddle my TV

Excuse me...I must have hit the wrong thing...I wasn't finished typing yet. What I was saying was

that you could interpret the ending as Ms. Carmody being right about child sacrifice.

Think about it: Billy dies, the Mist parts.

Not that I think that Darabont intended it that way AT ALL. I don't think that Ms. Carmody was intended to be any less of a villain than Sylvia Pitston or Carrie's mom. But it's one thing that argues against using the ending that they did.

The ending sounds like a splendid example of Canadian literary critic's definition of irony--as do several of King's own novels. It's true to King's writing in 'spirit" at least.

Nonetheless, is this ending any more "realistic" than it would be if the military arrived in the nick of time, instead of mere seconds too late, and put blankets around their shoulders?
    In his interview with Hans-Ake Lilja, in the copy I have of Lilja's Library, Frank actually mentions that as a possible ending he could have done--but elsewhere, he states that this was the only ending he could come up with.

C'mon-he's not being consistent here!

Gotta respect his sticking to his guns, though.
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; September 8th, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

I loved the movie right up until the end. And then the ending really spoiled it for me I know, if I had seen the movie first, or if SK had written the original ending like that, it would have been perfect. But I haven't, and he didn't. To me, it was a huuuuuge disappointment.

The Mist has such a great open ending. What IS the mist? Where did it come from? Are there more survivors? What will happen to the characters?

And then the movie's just like 'Look you guys, he just shot all his friends for nothing, haha!'

I didn't care for it one bit. And that's too bad, because The Mist is one of my favourite stories.
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; September 9th, 2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.

Has anybody noticed this movie had...

- Childish dialogues.
    - No clarity.
    - Stupid conclusions.
    - No justice.
    - Very good potential for creative violence, yet only two violent scenes. As if the director / writer couldn't think of something else to show.

I'm planning on reading the book to see what's Stephen King's fault and what's not...

okey doke then.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

I liked the story a lot, and enjoyed the movie until the end. I HATED that, not because it was different from the book, but because it violated one of the most important things in books or movies: the people didn't act realistically. As a parent, I cannot IMAGINE choosing to

kill my child unless EVERY option had been exhausted.
    To choose to do so the instant they ran out of gas was ridiculous to me. Unless they were at the point of death from dehydration or starvation, there was always hope.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; October 26th, 2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast