This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 60 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Hijack this thread!

Default Re: Hijack this thread!

As I have said before, I am known for my cooking skills, but not in a good way. That still stands pretty much true but I just made parsnips for the first time and they are freaking delicious! I did it! YAY me.
    I got some to cook about two weeks ago? I never did though, so they went to compost.
    I got some more yesterday and promised myself to cook them today, so I did.
    I opted to boil them in my pasta boat in the microwave with baby taters, onions, garlic, salt, and enough butter to make Paula Deen blush. Bam, right?

And for the record I jacked this from a site about the origins of sayings 'n stuff.

: Does anyone know the origin of the saying 'Fine words butter no parsnips'? Although I do understand what it means now, as a child I was mystified by its meaning

The earliest known example of the phrase dates from 1639, in the form "Faire words butter no parsnips". Anybody who has ever eaten boiled parsnips knows that they cry out to be glazed in butter before serving, and in traditional English cookery they invariably are - it is a necessary part of their preparation. The point of the phrase is that words alone achieve nothing - a person may "butter you up" with fine words, but he can't butter parsnips with them! (VSD)

Hi!

Why is my son trying to drive me batty? He came into my den and started singing and dancing My Name is Cuban Pete. He sang a couple of chorus and made his own dance moves and then walked out.

I think he's been hanging around his mother too much.

Here's the song.

My son is a hoot!

Peace.

Snuggle baby and mama makes my heart feel like warm butter.

Arrggghhhh...I am slowly losing the will to live! My head is battered.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    If you were Scottish that wouldn't surprise me,they fry everything up there

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post

Then it would practically be a sin not to deep fry it...yeah it could be a southern thang.
    And I'm thinkin' you won't be needin' no extra sauce for dippin' neither you saucy thang you.

Quote Originally Posted by champ1966 View Post
    If you were Scottish that wouldn't surprise me,they fry everything up there
    Whay~aye man, am jus' doon the road like, so canny close enuf ta nip up fer a deep fried mars bar! D'ya kennit?

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia A View Post
    As I have said before, I am known for my cooking skills, but not in a good way. That still stands pretty much true but I just made parsnips for the first time and they are freaking delicious! I did it! YAY me.
    I got some to cook about two weeks ago? I never did though, so they went to compost.
    I got some more yesterday and promised myself to cook them today, so I did.
    I opted to boil them in my pasta boat in the microwave with baby taters, onions, garlic, salt, and enough butter to make Paula Deen blush. Bam, right?

And for the record I jacked this from a site about the origins of sayings 'n stuff.

: Does anyone know the origin of the saying 'Fine words butter no parsnips'? Although I do understand what it means now, as a child I was mystified by its meaning

The earliest known example of the phrase dates from 1639, in the form "Faire words butter no parsnips". Anybody who has ever eaten boiled parsnips knows that they cry out to be glazed in butter before serving, and in traditional English cookery they invariably are - it is a necessary part of their preparation. The point of the phrase is that words alone achieve nothing - a person may "butter you up" with fine words, but he can't butter parsnips with them! (VSD)
    Parsnips?

You have no idea how proud of you I am at this moment.

Steampunk Spock, my heart just skipped a beat.

Page 60 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast