Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Langoliers movie, 1995 - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Langoliers movie, 1995

Default Re: The Langoliers movie, 1995

I only saw half of the movie - had to go to work that night. Never forgotten the eerie horror - truly Lovecraftian in its effect. A second out of time with the rest of the continuum. I don't think I've ever seen a horror movie that could channel Lovecraft's real work - as opposed to Derleth's stuff - anywhere near as effectively.

David Morse was great in it too. Some SKEMERs got a tour of the Bangor Airport years ago and got to see where the scenes were filmed. King needs to stop killing guys named Nick LOL

I saw the movie yesterday, watching it on the web. Well the movie version is so close to the story that I didn't feel cheated at all. There is one exception. The sleeping passenger with beard is missing, but it's fine, I didn't mind one bit. Bronson Pinchot impressed me a lot as Toomy. Good choice of actor for that role, and I loved David Morse as Brian, again a good choice. But I was kinda hoping that Nick wouldn't ''die'' in the movie. What a superb Nick Hopewell Mark Lindsay Chapman portrayed!!! He looked stunning with the brit accent and all. Great movie version of The Langoliers, one of my favourite stories so far. I think I will buy myself a copy of that movie. It's so well made. And...oh!! I liked Steve's little cameo appearance btw.

I just want to add to my last post that I thought the Langoliers looked creepy, but not as much as I imagined them in my mind. Special effects were not that good at the time they made the movie I guess, but today they would probably look monstrous in 3D. Why not consider a remake in 3D btw. This time I would cast Chris Vance as Nick, and also cast a younger girl as Dinah. David Morse could come back anytime as far as I'm concerned, as the skipper. I'd like Paul Adelstein as Toomy.

I loved that movie except for the langoliers themselves, but I knew there was no way any TV was going to be able to show the nondescript scary thing that I had pictured in my head while reading it.

Tomey's character was extra insane.

I'm going to have to check this out again. I remember watching this back in the day. Bronson tearing those strips of paper and the Langoliers eating up the airport like pacman at the end. Haven't thought about that in years.

So I was just curious if anyone else caught this reference in the movie. The "author" (for lack of remembering name) was talking about how you can't travel into the past by time warp to change any event like the JFK assassination? I like how that is referred to and that is the book to be released. So pay attention closely to his movies he may hint at other books in the works!

Well, I am a self-confessed late-bloomer when it comes to Stephen King books, particularly, Four Past Midnight, 'coz I only learned about the existence of the movie adaptation of THE LANGOLIERS just few days ago, whereas I am so thrilled in having to read the books first then watching the movie adaptations to make comparisons or just to solidify/satisfy/confirm the imaginations I have concocted while reading the books, I mean how I have been seeing the stories in my mind as I read...and THE LANGOLIERS is to date, the closest that came to how I pictured the story in the book while I read it...anyways, since the thread about its connectivity to a Twilight Zone TV story has been unavailable for new posts, may I just add it here that the final scenes about the present time catching up to the characters in the story is very similar to the TIME BUILDERS story in the tWILIGHT ZONE, don't you agree?

Hello. I saw the movie around 15 years ago and it's still one of my favourite films today. At that time, I was near 14 years old. I chose Dinah as my favourite character while watching the movie, albeit I like some other characters as well, like Brian. However, there's one obvious thing that made me sad and even today,

I still can't accept this: Dinah's death
    . I can't understand Stephen King made such a character (kind, comprehensive (the only one who had sympathy for Craig), young and with the hope to finally be sighted) and then make her die. I have read the novel, hoping it would be otherwise, but it's not. In my opinion, she re-appeared after the book finishes (and Stephen King just forgot to mention it…). I was hoping someone has a better explanation (or thought) about it.
    Last edited by Moderator; March 1st, 2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added spoiler tag

Both the book and the movie are amazing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12