This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Steve's explanation for Losers' sex scene

Default Re: Steve's explanation for Losers' sex scene

The "Bev scene" is just the losers reconnecting with each other and reasurring each other.. I couldn't see the big woooop the, and I sure can't now!
    If its sick or bizarre, you know its a King novel
    I can't remember how many times I've read It & The Scene didn't bother me & I like to think that's because I read it as it was intended - barely pubescent kids bonding with each other.
    And bonding with desperation.

Patrick Hochstetter murdering pets freaked me out more - not because I care more for animals than humans, but because he was bonkers.

The abusive relationship between the adult Bev & Tom is way more distasteful.

SK wrote that part of the book with sensitivity & delicacy.

He also throws us to the ground & rubs our faces in life's nastier truths - when he needs to do it.

Domestic violence, alcoholism & 57 varieties of psychosis are part of SK's toolkit.
    Right beside the monsters, bugs & hooligans from beyond the stars.

But, as long as there's a stick, someone will always get the wrong end of it. . .

I have been trying to convince some of my friends to read IT, (some have seen the miniseries), but I told them about this scene, and attempted to explain that is was mostly emotional bonding and dealt with metaphysical aspects as opposed to an unnecessary scene. They didn't get it. Now when ever I bring up how great an author SK is, they will mention that. Darn. I guess SK is an acquired taste.

I never tell anyone anything about what is in the book besides that I think it is a great read. There isn't any point in trying to "prepare" them for that scene (or any other). They will either get it in context or they won't. Trying to prepare them for it will only disjoint them and make sure they come to it with preconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    I never tell anyone anything about what is in the book besides that I think it is a great read. There isn't any point in trying to "prepare" them for that scene (or any other). They will either get it in context or they won't. Trying to prepare them for it will only disjoint them and make sure they come to it with preconceptions.
    However I did show them this thread, as well as right an essay, so I think I've convinced them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456