Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Things I love about Cell

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Things I love about Cell

Default Things I love about Cell

Hey evreyone, my first post as im new to these boards!

I recentley read Cell and just wanted to write a few things I thought were great about the book.

1. The Pace: The pace of the book is superb. I love the way that there are pauses from the action, for example, when the group take refuge in Toms house. These periods are brilliant as they are natural moments in which to learn about the characters and there thoughts and feelings on each other or the events outside. I also love the way Clay and co. look from the windows of Tom's home at the chaos at exist's outside. It paints a clear picture...especially when Stephen describes the two crazies fighting over a pumpkin to eat!

2. The death of Alice: It was done so suddenley and without any real hint it was going to happen. I recall the moment when she is shouted at by a small gang in a car, however there is no hint that moments later they will return to throw a brick and kill her. In fact, as the car advancs towards them, You still feel that it's buliding up to an attempt to run Clay and his group down, until the brick is mentioned and the veru moment itself occurs. The death also had a great impact on the story as it reinforced the feeling that no one but Clay himself is safe from the Crazies.

3. The Crazies crazy music: the crazies humerous, yet surreal, love for ballads eg. 'Wind beneath my wings' is a nice touch in the book.

4. The ending: I see theres some debate about this on these boards, but I felt the ending was fantastic and is probably the moment that sticks most in my mind. I love its open-endedness.

Although, I have listed things I like about the book, there are several criticism's I could level at it aswell. Therefore, its not one of my favourite Stephen King books, but it is unquestionabley enjoyable. (Sorry for any Typo's)

Default Re: Things I love about Cell

"Wind Beneath My Wings" and Bette Midler in general are responsible for my fall over the precipice of sanity into the "bog of goofy"...Gads, I actually had to PLAY that blasted syrup caked single over & over in my DJ days...after a few days of that, I was grabbing for the rifle and plotting the quickest route to the nearest clock tower...

I loved Cell. It's one of my favorite SK books of all time (so far).

I enjoyed it too, and was kinda puzzled at the criticism it received. Not a favorite, but very respectable and well worth the money.

Ha! I can imagine that was a nightmare!

I could handle the Crazies barbaric ways, but for them to have a love of Bette Midler and other slushy records was a step to far!! haha!

It is a great book. I have read quite a few Stephen King books, I actually posses them all (well at least all the published novels) as far as Im aware, its just taking awhile to read through them all! It doesnt help that I read at a snails pace...especially as im currently tackling 'The Stand: Uncut Edition'!

As im new to this forum however, can someone inform me what 'accepting a friend request' involves?....i have a couple outstanding and am not sure what will happen when i accept them?

I absolutely loved Cell too. When I picked it up to start reading, I certainly wasn't expecting something I could identify so well as I did. But he wrote it in such a way that it seems very plausible to happen. I mean, everyone owns a cell phone these days and its scary to think that something like that could happen and we'd never even know what hit us. We'd just pick up the phone to talk to mom, or granny, or our significant other and BOOM! you're now a killing machine who only cares about what's next for dinner.

Geez...this man's a genius

I watched a movie recently that reminded me of this book. The movie was The Crazies. Now the Crazies weren't turned by cell phones but I think it was that they were called the crazies and in Cell they were called the phone crazies that makes me tie the two together.

the comments S.K. did about the songs through the characters made me laugh so much !