Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Best SK audio book and version

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best SK audio book and version

Default Best SK audio book and version

I'm a huge fan of the audio book. I don't think I could live close to work as I enjoy my commute to much, this is purely due to listening to audio books.

For you other audio fans out there you'll be aware that the reader makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the story. If I can't find a good reading (unabridged of course) I buy the book and place it on the night stand.

Which are your favorite SK stories in the audio book format, and which readers would you recommend. I sometimes will buy an audio books purely because of the reader (not often but I have done in the past).

I think it goes without saying that one of the greatest audio performers was Frank Muller on the first few Dark Tower novels. So besides this any other thoughts or suggestions?

What are favorites?

Default The Colorado Kid

Well since there is not much going on in this thread I thought I would come back with a review of my own. You never know someone might find it useful?

I have just finished listening to "The Colorado Kid". OK I admit it I heard the hype about "Haven" and wanted, as always to read the book first. Even if it's just the basis of the story (not seen the TV series yet).

Anyways, I got a copy of "The Colorado Kid" from audible.com read by Jeffrey DeMunn.

This is not a review of the novel, but of the audiobook (btw - I loved the book).

I have not heard Mr DeMunn narrate before but after this reading I would be glad to hear him again. The thick local Moose Lookit accents he does are wonderful, I would love to know if this accent actually exists. And something that a Limey like me would not be able to read correctly or sound out unless heard.

The pace of the reading was smooth, if a little quick in parts. Overall I think he did a fantastic job and made you feel like you were sat in the newsroom with Vincent and Dave, sipping coke and listening to the old timers spin the yarn. Awesome job!

Next i'm going to listen to Blockade Billy so will let you know how that goes.

Default Re: Best SK audio book and version

The audio version of Dolores Claiborne by Frances Sternhagen is a true masterpiece. She IS Dolores!

John

I've just finished listening to "It" read by Stephen Webber. Absolutely brilliant in every way. Webber isn't just a reader here, he's a true storyteller. Truly amazing. I was tempted to listen to it again from the beginning immediately.

And I've got about 20 mins. left of "The Tommyknockers", again, an amazing listen.

I'm hoping and hoping that they get "The Stand" copyright crap straightened out, and hook Stephen Webber again to do the audio version.

I'm actually putting down the iPod for a couple weeks, as I just got passed a copy of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", which I am currently getting sucked into.

[QUOTE=jandreoni;392878]I've just finished listening to "It" read by Stephen Webber. Absolutely brilliant in every way. Webber isn't just a reader here, he's a true storyteller. Truly amazing. I was tempted to listen to it again from the beginning immediately.

It audio book sounds perfect to listen to around Halloween. The movie scared the socks off of my oldest daughter; but she insists she is old enough to watch it now. I might try the audio version out on her. ( have to give it a listen first though, since she's 10) I've been seeing the audio books on SK.com and wanting to get some.

I just purchased a bunch of audios of SK,but so far have only listened to The Shawshank redemption. I thought it was good. But I'll have to check my others out.

Just finished listening to the Blockade Billy and Morality double header.

Really enjoyed both but the Blockade Billy reading was much more to my liking. Still to find a female reader who really does king's work justice. Might have to try the Dolores Claiborne version jchanic suggested.

I think morality was a better story for me, but the reading was strong enough. I know the lead character was female but he voice acting was not up to much i'm affraid.

The Blockade Billy story (well enough has been said in other forums) was very well recorded and produced with great reading skill, if not a little "shouty" in parts. Still would recommend it.

I work out in my shop (wood carving) and always have a SK book going in the background. I really enjoy them all so much, but one of my favorites is "Insomnia" with Eli Wallach narrating. The tantrum Ed Deepneau (sp?) throws when he gets stopped at the airport gate is hilarious! I hate it that most of my audio books are on cassette tapes because either my tapes get chewed up or my player conks out. I'm currently trying to get everything switched out to cds. The book I've probably listened to the most however and is my number 1 favorite is "The Talisman" by the irreplaceable Frank Muller.

That's it i'm getting a copy of "The Talisman" now! Heard so much about it and this just confirms it for me. The fact i'm getting it on audio book and not ye ol' paper, is purely down to Frank Muller (legend - and THE voice of DT )

So excited from this part of your quote mim "The tantrum Ed Deepneau " - another DT tie in - Mr Deepneau. And i swear I read it's set in the DT universe?
    audible.com here I come.

for me I'd have to agree that IT is the best SK audiobook I've ever listened to. All the voices seemed to be just as i had imagined them when I first read the book. I'm now on to The Tommyknockers and loving that to. I know the book isn't a favourite of many SK readers but I always liked the weird atmosphere the story had and i'm not talking about the air quality in Haven lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast