This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: one thing i hated about the movie

Default Re: one thing i hated about the movie

David Strathairn went to Ringling Bros. Clown College. Just fyi. I thought that was a neat bit of trivia, when I read it.

Another thing I noticed on a recent re-watch of Dolores Claiborne...I think a good portion of JJL's performance was informed by the performance of the younger actress who played Selena at 13. The younger actress did an amazing job, but I think JJL was playing her at 30, not whatever she might have imagined of the character from the book or the script, if that makes sense.

I enjoyed the movie. I thought JJL was a good cast for the older daugter because she could portray the messed up career woman. She had part of her father in her. Kathy Bates was a good choice but her acting seemed stiff to me.
    The younger Sabina was an excellent actress as well. Vera Donovan was amazing. I enjoyed the book and the movie.

I just watched this film. I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I agree with the masses, Kathy Bates is just brilliant at acting Stephen King's characters, however, I didn't see too much wrong with Jennifer's performance. I have been interested in watching this film for a while since I found out it had a young Ellen Muth in it (young Selena), because Ellen was the lead in one of my favourite ever shows - Georgia Lass in Dead Like Me.

I think she (JLL) did a great job in this movie! She was up against one of THE best actresses of our time (Bates) and had to create a character basically out of thin air. The only version of Selena in the book is the young one, not the older version so Leigh had to create her out of thin air, pretty much. All she had to go on was: Selena was molested by her father when she was young, her Father disappeared after her Mother figured out what was happening between Selena and her Father and for which Selena would've blamed herself not her Mother, she was addicted to perscription drugs and hadn't seen her Mother for a very long time. Remember also it is hinted at that she is not treated very kindly by previous lovers and is in fact screwed over by the current one. All of this is not going to make for a very likable character or person. If you watch the movie again you may actually start to like her portrayal knowing all of this. I think on my first viewing I didn't enjoy her character, but upon more viewings I have come to respect what she did with her role and actually like Selena now- she IS a survivor- in her own way- and at the end of the movie she realizes that she can't go on the way she was and I think she sees that there is hope for her and for her relationship with her Mother. By the way, how many of you have noticed that all of the scenes of the 'past' are rich in color while all of the scenes of 'now' are drab and grey? Pretty cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    By the way, how many of you have noticed that all of the scenes of the 'past' are rich in color while all of the scenes of 'now' are drab and grey? Pretty cool!!!
    Quite enjoyed that aspect of it, myself.

I loved this movie....JJL I thought played the part really well..... in abuse victims she nailed it emotion wise etc.....Kathy yes her acting can blow anyone off the screen!!! But I think ALL the actors were amazing think this movie was over looked by a lot of people. I find it amazing how Stephen can really write even though he's a man, this was a women's movie . He got into the mind of real women that is very impressive for any writer.

is the book like the movie? I have the book but haven't read it yet and I have seen the movie and loved it!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRita View Post
    is the book like the movie? I have the book but haven't read it yet and I have seen the movie and loved it!!
    The book is similar enough, but it's a much different format. Basically a big monologue from the narrator.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123