Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Is this your favorite Stephen King movie? - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this your favorite Stephen King movie?

Default Re: Is this your favorite Stephen King movie?

I'd have to say it is a tie for me, between Shawshank and The Stand (I know I'm in the minority on this one. I just love this miniseries for some reason, warts and all). The Green Mile and Stand By Me are close behind, and Dolores Claiborne deserves an honorable mention.

I'm with you on this. Shawshank it's not only my favorite SK movie it's my favorite movie of all time. I don't get tired of watching it. I own it and every time it's on tv I still watch it. My next favorite SK movie is The Green Mile.

No, that honor would probably go to The Shining. But Shawshank is very good.

I think that movie is very well adapted from the book ( one of my fave movies of all times btw ), but the best for me will always be THE GREEN MILE

It is very inspiring as it made me think about life in general. Live your life as much as possible. If you don't, you're just stepping aside and watching life go by like a train with a line of box cars. Each box containing a segment of your life.

Yes. Definitely. Also one of my favorite movies in general. Also enjoyed Dolores Claiborne, Apt Pupil, Misery, and Stand By Me.

Imho, his best works-with the exception of the Dark Tower series-have nothing to do with the supernatural.

Also have to admit that the Family Guy parodies on Shawshank, Stand By me and Misery were extremely entertaining and funny. Especially when Shamus [who plays the guard]says, "Now I'm going to go pop out a pinecone..etc," instead of pinch a loaf.

It always seems that people like the less scary SK movie adaptations and that makes sense, since there is more for a director and actor to work with in stories like Shawshank and Stand by Me. I've always stood by my philosophy that a movie adaptation of a horror novel is very difficult because no amount of special effects or CGI can conjure up the monsters we create in our heads while reading a SK book.

That said...I have to say Carrie is my favorite movie adaptation, which kind of goes against my philosophy. The reasons I think it is the best are numerous, but first and foremost is the fact that Carrie is my favorite SK book ('cause it was my first and it is about being bullied, which I was for all of high school). Also, I saw the movie in the theater when it first came out and it really was well done and over the top for its time. And I cannot say enough about the performances of both Sissy Spacek as Carrie and Piper Laurie as her mother, Margaret White. They both in their own way turn in two very different but heartbreaking performances. Yes, there were parts that are much different than the book and Sissy Spacek looks nothing like how Carrie is described in the book, still the movie rings true to the feel of the book and that is what matters most to me.

You know what would have been awesome in the Carrie movie? If the music playing in the background at the prom during all the mayhem was "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    It always seems that people like the less scary SK movie adaptations and that makes sense, since there is more for a director and actor to work with in stories like Shawshank and Stand by Me. I've always stood by my philosophy that a movie adaptation of a horror novel is very difficult because no amount of special effects or CGI can conjure up the monsters we create in our heads while reading a SK book...
    I agree that it must be a unique artistic challenge faithfully visualizing horrors born in someone else's imagination. Good filmmakers find ways, though. The example which immediately comes to mind is The Mist. I love all the monsters in that movie, and feel they are exceptionally faithful to sK's conceptions and intent.

Stand By Me, closely followed by Shawshank. I might be in minority here but I enjoyed It too. Also the Green Mile...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast